Main Menu

Would a lost and found thread be of use here?

Started by 71GranCoupe, January 23, 2017, 08:07:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71GranCoupe

Just  :thinking: a little here. We know chances of re-uniting original drive train or other major items to  a particular vehicle are quite slim, but with a thread just for that, may take out some of the odds of never finding long lost blocks or Build Sheets, etc.  :ohyeah:

Cuda Cody

Might be a good idea!   :dunno:  Lets think about this a bit.  We know that Barry does a good job with the 1970 Hamtramck stuff.  And Moparts has a fairly large area just for lost and found.  Beside here and then CC where else would people share information about lost and found items?

Cuda Cody

Maybe a few people could chime in and give me an idea about how many of us have Engines or Transmissions in our garage that are not number matching?  :notsure: 

headejm

I have a 1971 340 taking up space in my garage. Love to find the rightful and deserving owner.

anlauto

I think we should keep it  cut down to only E Body stuff the best we could...that means no 1973 440 blocks no Road Runner build sheets, etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

:iagree:

If E-body specific build sheets, motors/trannys etc only, it would eventually develop this site as the "go to" for these E-body specific items.  Additional monitoring would be needed, but might be worth a 6 month trial?  :alan2cents:

Tom

anlauto

It wouldn't be all that hard.....If it's a transmission case or engine block VIN it would at least have to have a "B" or "E" in the number, and fender tags or build sheets would be self explanatory
What say you Boss @Cuda Cody  ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

It's our site and I'm hearing several of us that want it.  So lets give it a try!  I'll get the new Lost and Found board up soon.     :twothumbsup:

challenger6pak

Would it be possible to have items entered in such a way that they would appear on the board in numerical order? I would guess it would need a submission form much like an ad listing. Once the site gets a lot of posts in the thread it will be much easier to find things. Google and other search engines can also pick up the VIN  numbers and bring people to the site.

Cuda Cody

wow, I like that!!!!  Lets think how nest o make that work because I think that will be super easy for people and google to find.  Maybe we have the first post in the thread be a place that gets modified and all the numbers that are posted in that topic get collected and added to the top post?   :thinking:

Quote from: challenger6pak on January 24, 2017, 08:18:37 AM
Would it be possible to have items entered in such a way that they would appear on the board in numerical order? I would guess it would need a submission form much like an ad listing. Once the site gets a lot of posts in the thread it will be much easier to find things. Google and other search engines can also pick up the VIN  numbers and bring people to the site.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 24, 2017, 08:34:15 AM
wow, I like that!!!!  Lets think how nest o make that work because I think that will be super easy for people and google to find.  Maybe we have the first post in the thread be a place that gets modified and all the numbers that are posted in that topic get collected and added to the top post?   :thinking:

Quote from: challenger6pak on January 24, 2017, 08:18:37 AM

I have to agree, that some type of numerical order is needed. On the other sites that do have lost & found, it is difficult to find anything without reading a bazillion posts. Hopefully it will not be labor intrusive to get it going and keeping it updated.   :perfect10:

Cuda Cody

So keeping all the VIN numbers in order and at the top of the thread is easy, but how do we keep track of who is the contact for each of the items?   :thinking:  If someone sees their VIN in the list of items I'm sure they're going to want to talk to the last person that seen it or has it.  Should we put the members name next to the item?

headejm

Maybe make it a requirement of posting an engine or tranny that it includes an email address or at least the user name.  :notsure:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 24, 2017, 05:22:49 PM
So keeping all the VIN numbers in order and at the top of the thread is easy, but how do we keep track of who is the contact for each of the items?   :thinking:  If someone sees their VIN in the list of items I'm sure they're going to want to talk to the last person that seen it or has it.  Should we put the members name next to the item?

I use to administer a web page years ago, but never did anything remotely close to what would be needed for a list of numbers along with searchers and those who have the part(s) in their position.  Possibly an embedded spreadsheet, ?????????   :dunno: :clueless:

Shoooter

I think that would be great. Post the user name along with the vin number. Maybe a quick sentence giving info like "1971 340 vin 1******* found in 70 purple  challenger in western canada in 1998" then it gives people a idea of where it came from. It would help if you knew the location and type of car your original motor was in if you were searching for it. How many times have we heard " I sold my motor and the guy in this area put it in this car. "

I think keeping this to just ebody is the right thing to do. Keep it simple