Main Menu

1970 Door Latch Internet Picture Question

Started by Jay Bee, September 17, 2023, 08:54:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

There's a picture from the web that I've been referencing here and everywhere - first picture. It looks to me that it's showing a right side (passenger) latch with the extra lever preventing the lock from engaging unless the door is closed. I thought that was only on the left (drivers) door. The second picture has my left latch superimposed so as to show that the one from the web does look like a right side one. My third picture is an edited mirror image of the internet's one.

So, could the original author somehow mirrored his picture before adding his text?  Or am I out in left field and missing something.

Katfish

I put that info together quite a while ago.
It's definitely passenger side, I never modded the driver side.
Didn't want to wait for passenger to close door and have to lean over and lock, or me walking around to use key.
So now if I'm working on the car, or getting something from passenger side, push down lever and close.
I still need to use key on driver side, eventually will get around to taking a dremel to that side too.

Jay Bee

Thanks for the reply

So am I wrong in saying that the key is only needed on the driver's door? In that Moparts thread "DAYCLONA" says that too. You can see why I'm getting messed up. Also, for some reason I can't find that picture on Moparts, only through a Google search.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2436867/barracuda-1971-and-1970-door-latch-lock-differences.html

Katfish

Need key for both sides on 70.
Any 70 owner can verify this is the case.

Jay Bee

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I apparently have the wrong right door latch and "DAYCLONA" is mistaken.  :bigthumb:

Dakota

Jay Bee

THE BACK STORY

Last week friend stops over with his '69 Firebird. We get talking about unique features of our car's years. I show him how the door can only be locked with the key from the outside, demonstrating the driver's side. He asks, "Is that the same on the passenger side too". I say, "Yes, but my car has the wrong one there". Sometime from that day to today I come across that Moparts thread (again) and DAYCLONA's comment. So, now I start to question my knowledge. Also, after looking at my spare '71+ latch I see it's possible to mirror Katfish'e picture to look like a left. Now you know why this thread was started.

MORAL OF THE STORY - John, stop second guessing yourself.

PS: thanks Dakota too.

RJChallenger

@Jay Bee   are you looking for a 70 style pass side door latch?

Jay Bee

I threw my  :alan2cents: in the Moparts thread.........

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
The 70 only Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth line up had the feature where the key was required to lock the car from the outside, on the drivers side only

This does not apply to E-bodies, both doors in 1970 need the key to be locked from the outside.

Jay Bee

Quote from: RJChallenger on September 17, 2023, 12:37:03 PM
Jay bee are you looking for a 70 style pass side door latch?
I have to give that some thought. I like originality, but I also like convenience.