Main Menu

AC to Non-AC Heater Hoses

Started by 73TopBanana, April 27, 2021, 11:24:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73TopBanana

Hoping you are all well. I took off the AC components, saved them for possible put back.
Am getting hot air now thru AC ducts. What should i do to correct?
Thanks
Rick

anlauto

Maybe disconnect your heater hoses and just loop them ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73TopBanana

Thanks, would you or anyone have pics of that method?

Skdmark

This is a heater hose bypass loop. Used when you do not want to send coolant to your heater core.
You would need to verify hose diameter. I temporarily hooked one up last year while rebuilding my AC heater box, evaporator and heater core. I used the bypass at the AC control valve.

The other option is to connect your two heater hoses together with a dual ended barb fitting and some hose clamps.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

usraptor

I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking that the doors in your heater/AC box are not functioning correctly or are disconnected.   :thinking:  You don't get hot air through the AC vents with the AC components hooked up and the AC off, why should you get it through the AC vents now just because you AC lines are disconnected?  Seems to me it shouldn't make any difference whether the AC lines are hooked up or not as to whether you get hot air through the AC vents unless your car had one of those in line valves in the inlet heater hose that shuts off the flow of hot water to the heater core and you removed that also??  :huh: :alan2cents:

73TopBanana

Thanks. Left the inline valve in. Which of the 2 suggestions should I use?

Skdmark

Quote from: 73TopBanana on April 27, 2021, 05:14:15 PM

Have you tried manually opening and closing the inline valve to see if that changes the amount of heated air radiating out of the ducts?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

73TopBanana

Hi, did not, will do tonight. Thanks for the help.

anlauto

Quote from: 73TopBanana on April 27, 2021, 05:14:15 PM

Oh. yea, if that is still in, just make sure that it is in the closed position.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73TopBanana

73TopBanana

So yes, i manually closed the valve and still hot air. Have driven the vehicle now with the valve off and on.
Hot air still both ways.

headejm

This is a fun topic and has been discussed a couple of times here. I also removed my AC and left the AC heater box, which is much different from a non-AC heater box. This is my recommendation:

Don't loop your heater hoses unless you never want heat in your car. If you don't ever want heat, you can loop your hoses.

If you are still using your AC heater box, nothing is probably wrong with any of the doors or functionality of the box. The AC heater box works in conjunction with the "temperature control valve" mounted on the passenger fender well. If you want heat in your car, you will have to run a "temperature control valve". When you don't want heat, just shut the valve.

I used a factory looking valve but other types are available. See photo.

73TopBanana

Thanks Headedm: do not need heat in the car. Engine gives off plenty. In the winter months only drive it when roads are clean and no salt.
Anyway, would prefer to loop the hoses. Do you or someone on this site have a photo of what it should look like?
Thanks

73TopBanana

Hi usraptor, headejm was kind enough to suggest couple methods. Do you have any pictures of the bypass method?
Thanks

usraptor

It was skidmark that suggested the bypass hose.  I don't have any info on that.  :('