Main Menu

Amazon...why go to the store ?

Started by anlauto, September 21, 2020, 02:03:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Order something for my son's birthday today at 11:28 am....arrived at my house in just under five hours... :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Good to support Bozos , he doesn't have enough $$ yet

anlauto

Last month I needed some "U" shaped florescent bulbs for a couple of lights I have in my workshop....I drove around for about an hour, to a few different hardware stores locally until I found some...They only had two, and I needed at least three.
So I went back two weeks later, still nothing....drove around some more to larger box stores....still nothing, but wasted time and gas... :bye:

Just now I found them on Amazon...cheaper then the hardware store, and with FREE shipping...Do to arrive in two days...

This is REALLY  going to suck for Brick & Mortar stores in the near future....how will they possibly compete ? :bricks:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

It's already sucking for brick and mortar.  It's even worse for smaller rural areas.  There are no more mom and pop stores to go to.  Only Walmart or true value/ ace hardware remain in the dessert. These large corporations are the only things competing, poorly, with Amazon.  Jeff Bezos. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

FSHTAIL

supply and demand.. 

If someone can do it better and cheaper for the same product, guess where my money is going....    ;)
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Mopar5

Quote from: anlauto on September 21, 2020, 02:29:25 PM
Last month I needed some "U" shaped florescent bulbs for a couple of lights I have in my workshop....I drove around for about an hour, to a few different hardware stores locally until I found some...They only had two, and I needed at least three.
So I went back two weeks later, still nothing....drove around some more to larger box stores....still nothing, but wasted time and gas... :bye:

Just now I found them on Amazon...cheaper then the hardware store, and with FREE shipping...Do to arrive in two days...

This is REALLY  going to suck for Brick & Mortar stores in the near future....how will they possibly compete ? :bricks:
it seems your about 10 years behind on this one .Amazon has been killing stores in the US for years. I'm with you on why go to the store when you can relax take your time and compare products on Amazon. I have always disliked going to the store anyway to get stuff . On another note when I buy stuff from Detroit muscle I can pay with my Amazon account that's Convenient

Mopar Lady

I won't buy tools on Amazon,my independent tool dealer is not too happy when told they were bought on Amazon.He turns down warranty on them.I was in his tool truck 2 weeks ago and guy off the street stepped in with a broken Grey Pnuematic 10mm impact universal swivel socket.Bought the set off of Amazon.Told him not warrantying it.He knows that I buy from him because I have service from him,this includes my Mac and Snap On Dealers.No service from Amazon at all

RUNCHARGER

I dunno: Whenever I search for something Amazon never has it and if they do their prices are high. It's an okay comparison tool I suppose but I buy local. I can usually tell online if my local stores have stock on an item too before I head out.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

There are people that follow Amazon, UPS, FedEx around neighborhoods. They pick up the package after the truck driver drop off the goods. It is really bad in the cities and surrounding areas. No such problem getting from stores directly.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Mopar Lady on September 21, 2020, 06:16:24 PM
I won't buy tools on Amazon,my independent tool dealer is not too happy when told they were bought on Amazon.He turns down warranty on them.I was in his tool truck 2 weeks ago and guy off the street stepped in with a broken Grey Pnuematic 10mm impact universal swivel socket.Bought the set off of Amazon.Told him not warrantying it.He knows that I buy from him because I have service from him,this includes my Mac and Snap On Dealers.No service from Amazon at all

my truck tool guy tried pulling the same thing on me.
One call to corporates straightened him out.

Kept on giving me BS about something being on backorder, found it on Amazon, had it 6 hours later.

If I don't have tools, I don't make money
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

dodj

I try to buy local to support the local economy..
I'll even pay a little bit more (not a lot more).
Unfortunately,  I'm in a fairly small city,  110,000, so it is often not available locally. Then I go to Amazon.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Jay Bee

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 21, 2020, 06:46:38 PM
Whenever I search for something Amazon never has it and if they do their prices are high.
Exactly the same experiences I've had.

Bullitt-

:Stirring:  Can't wait for Walmart to get into the car restoration game.......
               Faster, Cheaper, Better........How does that sound to ya?
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

blown motor

Quote from: dodj on September 22, 2020, 04:10:47 AM
I try to buy local to support the local economy..
I'll even pay a little bit more (not a lot more).
Unfortunately,  I'm in a fairly small city,  110,000, so it is often not available locally. Then I go to Amazon.

110,000 Lol. My closest town is 3500, the next is 32,000. I buy local, I don't want to drive through town and see half the stores empty. I saw that in Kansas 15 years ago and it hasn't left me.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

chargerdon

Unless i'm in a hurry, i buy auto parts from Rock Auto....almost always 30- 75% cheaper than auto part stores or Amazon.   Especially on more expensive parts so that the shipping cost isn't a factor.   Now, if it requires a core, ill buy from local part stores as i don't want the shipping back hassle.   Altho, sometimes New parts that dont require a core are cheaper including shipping at the Rock than rebuilt locally.    Yes, i like to buy local to support the stores in my area, if their prices are reasonable...Sometimes the difference is ridiculous !!

When my 74 Challenger was being restored, i needed a lot of "bulbs" both interior and exterior...   Example is 1157LL tail light bulbs...at Advance Auto or Oreillys a 2 pack costs $6.99 and $7.49 and at Rock Auto their 62 cents each for long life or 16 cents for standard Phillips !!   Another example on bulbs in instrument panel GE 1445 at Advance are $6.99 for a two pack and 45 cents apiece at rock.   Most of the bulbs for the Challenger all shipped from the same place so by ordering all of them at one time, i saved a ton on shipping, making my savings over the local parts store huge !!  Now, the local part stores are ridiculous on that stuff they should be ashamed !!

For tools, i ALMOST always buy from either Harbour Freight or for a tool needing quality...ill go to Home Depot or Northern Tool.   Got to be careful here however, as some of Harbour Freight pneumatic tools are garbage !!   Example, is a flanging pneumatic tool that with coupon i bought for $35 at Harbour...  It broke the first time i used it...   checked reviews...  most of them break within a couple of hours of usage...   got refund and bought same tool different brand at Northern Tool for $59 and it has lasted years !!   

For hardware i always go to Tractor Supply....  their nuts and bolts department is great and you pay buy the pound !!   If they don't have what i want then, ill go to ACE hardware who almost always have the stuff i need.