Main Menu

Andy's 'cuda

Started by dodj, April 30, 2018, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Timbbuc2

https://garagesquad.tv/submission-form/
Here is the link, I think with the story behind this car and a tribute to Andy , they would jump all over this.
Get in, I'll drive

303 Mopar

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on May 02, 2018, 09:12:40 AM
https://garagesquad.tv/submission-form/
Here is the link, I think with the story behind this car and a tribute to Andy , they would jump all over this.

:iagree:  This is the perfect story, and while they do not to OE restorations, they finish cars and get them running just like Andy's. We should get permission/agreement from the family and decide who has the most background knowledge, information and pics that is willing to submit a form.

Chryco Psycho

Why submit the form , we can do this , crowdfund maybe , as I said I have the time & we have the knowledge to do this right the only road block is $$

Dmz73

I ran into Cathy at Autorama, she came over to say hi. She's working her tail off, and doesn't have much time for the car. Darrin has been coming over now and again to help out. The kids have their own lives, and haven't been able to do too much since we last saw it.
There is still a SLEW of work to do, and some of it costly.
The car is not yet running primarily because of the serpentine belt system Andy wanted to use.
It involves picking up a few random pulleys from a junkyard - but you have to know what you are looking for.
There are part numbers that are very specific to the kit.
I think I have the numbers, so I'll look and see what info I have and translate them here.
There's also some wiring and testing that needs to be done. I'm not sure if they have purchased a battery. I don't think that there's any carb linkages either.
If we want to do a go fund me, that's cool.
We can do that.
Dave, maybe you and I need to scoot out there for a visit and catalogue where the car is at.
As far as garage squad goes, I wouldn't mind filling it out, but I think we need Cathy's permission.
Dan

blown motor

Important point IMHO: I think it would mean more to Kathy to have it finished personally by friends of her and Andy. I know we mean a lot to her. When I saw her last year at Carlisle, I hadn't seen her in two or three years, she hugged me and I didn't think she was going to let go. I think we should do this ourselves if possible.  :alan2cents:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

Seriously I am willing to do this , many people know my reputation on this site if Kathy wants to do this , the need is cash , I still have bills to pay here & need a flight but I am not looking to be paid above that ....

Dmz73

How about we look at a calendar and pick a day/weekend to work on it?

Dave, I think we need to pay Cathy a visit first and set our eyes on it.

If we can assess what needs to happen, we can start contributing to a pay-pal account.
I'd love to see Cathy and the kids drive the car!

I miss Andy - He was my bud, and would be over at the drop of a hat.
Dan

jimynick

As a member of the original thrash crowd, I like Dan's idea of he and Dave sussing out what the car needs so that we can apply work/knowledge/money towards getting it up and running. Would a go-fund-me deal generate enough dough to get Neil up as well? I've also got some sources for parts and Chris was in on the original build and has his own wrecking yard, so I've got to think the parts can be chased down. Subject to scheduling, I'll re-attend, just let's get our ducks lined up in a row first, eh?  :yes:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

:popcorn:   Just depends on when....?

blown motor

:iagree: I'm in if the date works. It's too bad Roadman is sick. He could whip up wiring harnesses in short order.

HP_Cuda

I'm in for funding this effort. I think that folks on this site finishing up Andy's Cuda is something that has to be done and not a garage squad effort.

Ship Neil up there and git her done.

:twothumbsup:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

superdave

:popcorn: :popcorn: I am a late comer and don't know the back story but I think it's great that everyone is so willing to make this happen.  8)

blown motor

Quote from: superdave on May 03, 2018, 12:52:00 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: I am a late comer and don't know the back story but I think it's great that everyone is so willing to make this happen.  8)

@superdave , here's the story. Andy was a member of the Cuda-Challenger site as we all were back then. He was restoring a 72(?) Cuda and adding some personal touches. His wife Cathy was very involved in the restoration. They were good friends with some members here, most noteabley Viperman and Ashley, Spikedog and DZM73. Part way through the restoration Andy got cancer and as his health failed he was unable to continue with the restoration. An initiative was started to get his car done. Members donated parts and money and on a weekend in June/14 there was a build party at his house in Ann Arbour, Michigan. The build team included Viperman from Pennsyvania, Spikedog and DMZ73 from Michigan, Bigschlunk from Wisconsin and Brads70, Jimynick and myself from Ontario. Seems to me I'm missing somebody. Sadly, Andy passed away on the Friday night that we were there but we went ahead anyways with Cathy's blessing. We made good progress by getting the drive train installed and a lot of other interior and mechanical components but we did not get the car running or nearly finished. Sometime during that weekend the car got named The Last Wish Cuda. It was taken to Carlisle that year and sat proudly by the C-C.com tent as a tribute to a great friend and member of the site. Since then car has been in limbo. Cathy has moved but still has the car with the hopes of finishing it someday.

Dakota

During the flurry of emails on finishing Andy's Cuda a couple of years ago, I put my hand up to buy a water pump that was needed at the time.   Andy passed before the purchase was made. 

I never met Andy. When I joined c-c.com (late 2012?), he seemed to be one of the early responders to just about any question asked on the forum, tossing in a joke or two for good measure. The news came out about his illness about the same time I had completed recovery from a successful tumor removal operation, so his tragic passing was a bit of a "there, but for the Grace of God, go I" situation for me.  Reading about how others on this forum that knew Andy well felt about him, I think it's only fitting that this community figure out how to get his car done.  I'm happy to kick the money for the pump towards a plane ticket for CP if that's the best way to help. 

1ownr

DMZ73 aka Dan put this together for the 2015 calendar. A lot of us have our stories about what an upstanding person Andy was.
We are the keepers of the memories to share.

judy