Main Menu

Anyone build Cat 6 cables

Started by 1 Wild R/T, February 03, 2018, 10:30:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on February 04, 2018, 09:53:14 AM
and the device really won't care about the order the wires are terminated as long as they are the same on both ends for what your doing.

And as I expected... The single most useful line....   Thank You!!

My two piece connectors may be dinosaurs but they seem to work, Nice thing for me is I can get all the wires positioned and clearly see the order before I crimp... Yes they are slow...  I'm not concerned with the quickest, easiest trick connector, I just need the stuff to work... Never gonna do this for a living....

I've got a set of Ideal Telemaster crimpers, A Jonard stripper, a RJ45 tester with an emitter & receiver... The job is done & it seems to work just fine....

RusTy/SE

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 03, 2018, 10:30:45 AM
So I'm finally installing my camera system... I've run cables all over the house & property... Now it's time to install the plugs.... I've tried wiring them to the T568B standard but no matter how much I work with them the ends look like crap..... I'm thinking since this isn't anything when cables will need to be interchangeable I'm going to to lay the wires out how they naturally lay (not swap the blue & split the green) as long as I stick with the same pattern in all the plugs it should be fine.... I suspect the T568B pattern maximizes speed while eliminating cross talk but in my application I doubt it's an issue.... Anyone have actual experience with this?

At work T56B is the only scheme used for carrying data as well as video and I always follow the layout although my terminations are virtually all into RJ-45 jacks or patch panels.

Wish I could see you stripping in action ( Ha!-sounds weird but... :rubeyes: :stop: ) so I could spot the cause of the ends looking the way you describe.  :takealook:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RusTy/SE on February 04, 2018, 10:29:50 AM

Wish I could see you stripping in action ( Ha!-sounds weird but... :rubeyes: :stop: ) so I could spot the cause of the ends looking the way you describe.  :takealook:

Yeah, it's getting weird... LOL...

The stripping is typical, slip the tool over the cable, two times around which scores the casing but doesn't cut through it, flex the casing & it breaks at the score... Spread the four twisted pairs, trim the center plastic separator (Which I believe is why the wires won't move easily) trim the string, untwist the pairs, at that point they naturally lay pretty easy but trying the spread the green wires is what causes things to get messy.... Not terrible & probably normal... But I didn't like it & again for what I'm doing I doubt it matters.... All the plugs are wired the same way, No it doesn't conform to the standard but so far I have crystal clear images... If it gives my trouble I'll re-visit it....

I do appreciate everyones input.... I know if I were doing this regularly I'd want to adhere to the standard but for my personal use that no tech will ever work on I suspect it'll be fine...

lulurocks(Ken)

Job is done thats all that matters :yes

The ideal tools/connectors are top notch ..  and your not making

500 of them a day ... :headbang: i hate my job sometimes .

Termination length wont be an issue  , your not pushing nearly enough bandwith with one single cam on each drop to even matter..  clear video .. done

What system did u end up putting in?

1 Wild R/T

It's a Lorex 8 camera system I bought  from Costco two years ago, 3TB HDD two PTZ cameras, should be more than I need but I've looked a neighbors cameras & I figure when you can't get a clear image you might as well not have any image at all...  I'm sure there's much better stuff out there but for residential use this should be fine....

I would have installed it two years ago but we decided we were going to move so rather than install it in a house then leave I left it in the box.... Two years later we still haven't moved & at this point probably won't since this place is paid for & taxes are cheap vs having a mortgage & higher taxes.... Suck it up & enjoy keeping money in the bank... 

lulurocks(Ken)

Lorex is awesome .. its made by flir thermal imageing corp.
I think we may have talked about this system before  on the cc.com.

That was a while ago..

Glad u like it .. i have the same one .

71GranCoupe

Installed so many can't begin to count. Have always used industry standards with crossing wires as indicated by the drawings. I did do a straight lay-down on one cable without crossing any of the wires and it worked ok. Only thing I have heard, is the crossing the wires will impede some of the noise on the system, but being only video as in your case,  should work just fine.  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on February 04, 2018, 03:22:58 PM
Installed so many can't begin to count. Have always used industry standards with crossing wires as indicated by the drawings. I did do a straight lay-down on one cable without crossing any of the wires and it worked ok. Only thing I have heard, is the crossing the wires will impede some of the noise on the system, but being only video as in your case,  should work just fine.  :alan2cents:

That was kinda what I expected and if I were doing a typical LAN or Ethernet I'd do the job right but for what I'm doing I chose easy...

Oh, I took a picture of the plastic separator that was giving me grief...  I don't know if this is Cat 6 only or what, the cables I've worked with in the past never had it....

And Ken, yes we did talk about it over on CC.com.... Now it's close to fully operational... Just chasing details...

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!!! :twothumbsup: