Main Menu

Anyone know internet speeds & why some downloads are super slow?

Started by Cuda Cody, November 22, 2017, 12:20:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

There's a couple large backup files I download every week and last week the files stopped being able to be downloaded.  It looks like the GTT tier 1 backbone IP / internet provider isn't working and only giving me about 1% the speed of the others.  I've called Comcast and they say it's fine and I've called GTT and they say it needs to be dealt with through Comcast. 

Any thoughts on how I can solve this?

cudaragtop

Slow speed from 1 not all tells you it is the one source not your ISP.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cudaragtop

69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Cuda Cody

How do I fix it?  Comcast is saying not their problem and everything works fines.   :verymad:  GTT says they will not deal with any customers and needs Comcast to contact them to open a trouble ticket.   :pullinghair:

Cuda Cody

This is after about 6 hours of downloading.  It will get to about 5 or 6 then timeout and stop or start over at 0.   :headbang:

Jim AAR

Cuda Cody

I've tried downloading it to 3 different computers so far.  2 here at home and I logged on at work and tried to download the file to a work computer.  All 3 have had the same slow download times.  I've asked a friend to try it once they get back from a vacation.  They have the same Comcast provider, but they are about 30 miles away from me.

Quote from: Jim AAR on November 22, 2017, 02:42:30 PM
Where are you downloading it to?

Jim AAR

Maybe try to download it to your Google drive first and then to your home computer.

Changing the path sometimes uses a different line.

Just a thought.

Cuda Cody

Good idea... I'll try that! 

Quote from: Jim AAR on November 22, 2017, 03:12:56 PM
Maybe try to download it to your Google drive first and then to your home computer.

Changing the path sometimes uses a different line.

Just a thought.

HP_Cuda

Cody,

What is your contracted speed with GTT? Geez 1mbps, that will take absolutely forever.

Everyone else on your list is at 100mbps.

For example, 1mbps will get you 125k per second at best, 10mbps gets you 1.25MB per second and 100mbps gets you 12.5MB per sec.

If you want some more help PM me.

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

CudaHead

Comcast should of helped you with that if you have problems with all sites, if not, it's the remote site problem or one of the routhers on the way.

Try using http://www.speedtest.net/ to test your speed. If it shows less that what you paying for, they need to fix it.

There are other tools you can use to see where it is being bottlenecked at such as NeoTrace.

Or try this from the CMD window:    tracert cnet.com     (change cnet.com to whatever location you are using)

If you need help call me.

CudaHead

Hope you figured out what was going on. If not, let expand on what may be causing your problems.
When you run Speedtest.net you may of noticed that your upload speed is about 10% of what your download speed.
That is because you are on a Client connection. They do that to keep you from using your client system from acting like a server system. Most notable is to keep you from installing a web site service on your client such as IIS (Internet Information Server) on Windows or Apache on a Unix.
If the system you are connecting to is also a client, then they would have the same upload problem.
If they have a real server, they probably have a higher level connection such as a slice of a T1 line, but that costs more.
You can call you provider and get a higher level at a higher price.

If that is not your problem then you use the commands I gave earlier to see the transfer speed at each connection in the path.

If you think you are getting errors then you can install program like Fiddler and watch the web traffic in detail.
Each line will have a status code. Codes in the 500 range are server side errors, codes in the 400 range are client side errors. Other codes like the 200 range are good status or information status. Some 500 codes are normal (if you want to know why, ask me)

Let me know if I can help.

cudaragtop

For Comcast use:
http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
To test your connection speed provided by your ISP.
Your speeds should be whatever speed tier you are paying for. If it is then your connection to your ISP (Comcast) is working correctly.
GTT has a connection to the www too. Your download from them is their upload to you.
If you get good speed from Comcast the bottleneck or slow down is from GTT.
Comcast holds the door open but they can't push GTT data any faster than they receive it.
Do you have a Service Level Agreement with GTT? How large are the Files and Do you Upload these files to them too or does someone else and then you pull them down?
Just trying to understand what their obligation to you as the end user is.
When you say large Backup Files, I think of those being uploaded from you to an off site or cloud storage service not the other way around.  :dunno: