Main Menu

Autometer replacement O2 sensor for air fuel ratio gauge - use Bosch 17018

Started by Brads70, July 28, 2018, 04:28:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Hello all,
Posting this as it might help someone down the road.
I have been using a AutoMeter Sport-Comp Digital Gauges 3378 to monitor and tune my fuel/air ratio for at least 5 years now and the O2 sensor gave up the ghost right when leaving for home at the Carlisle fairgrounds this year. Started to panic a little as it said dead lean but the car was running fine. Neil  pulled a spark plug to confirm and checked the float levels in the carb. All was good for the ride home.
So I get home and look up a replacement from autometer.
I was shocked at the price !  $163 Canadian! That's just nuts I thought! Not nice Autometer!
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/atm-2243 My local supplier wanted $180 Canadian!
So I google , looking for a better price when I discover that a Bosch 17018 is the replacement part just without the autometer markup!  So I ordered one from Rockauto for  $87.23 Canadian funds, like half of what Autometer wanted.... :foul:
I believe Autometer actually uses Bosch 17205 , the difference between 17205 and 17018 is the length of the wiring harness (17018 is 2" longer and about $40 cheaper) and the price. Both are interchangeable as far as I know. 
Hope this helps out someone down the road.

http://www.oxygensensor.net/bosch_o2/17018.php

Bullitt-

This is a topic I'm totally ignorant on so I have done some searches & it seems to me that other than the generation changes in sensors they seem to be basically the same other than the wiring/connectors ....  I have seen a few people suggesting that certain brands did not work well or hold up in their application.
I see name brand "universal" 4-wire O2 sensors under $30.   https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bosch-oxygen-sensor-15122/20471661-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=20471661-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OWKuPXB3AIVxyWBCh2mNg7tEAQYBCABEgLXvfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Soooo am I completely off base?  :clueless:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

I assume that fixed the problem at least , I have seen them for $40 rtange also but you might have to change the connector

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Brads70

Quote from: Bullitt- on July 28, 2018, 06:41:35 AM
This is a topic I'm totally ignorant on so I have done some searches & it seems to me that other than the generation changes in sensors they seem to be basically the same other than the wiring/connectors ....  I have seen a few people suggesting that certain brands did not work well or hold up in their application.
I see name brand "universal" 4-wire O2 sensors under $30.   https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bosch-oxygen-sensor-15122/20471661-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=20471661-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OWKuPXB3AIVxyWBCh2mNg7tEAQYBCABEgLXvfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd bet you could make that one work. As long as you knew what wire did what. Electronics/wiring is not my strong point so a " plug and play" option was best for me.
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 28, 2018, 06:56:59 AM
I assume that fixed the problem at least , I have seen them for $40 rtange also but you might have to change the connector
Not sure it's still yet to arrive. There are you tube video's of these exact part numbers being used so I'm sure it will work ok

RUNCHARGER

The deal is these aftermarket mfgrs source their parts from readily available sources to keep costs inline. So there is usually a generic part they use. It's just a matter of a little detective work to find the correct piece.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

The sensor you linked is a standard four wire oxygen sensor.... It reads a narrow range right around 13.5-14.5.... Perfect for a fuel injected vehicle but not suitable for tuning a performance oriented carbureted vehicle... 

The thing that has made A/F gauges possible is a five wire wide band sensor that can read a wide range from 9-17+

Here's a cut & paste from Haltech...

Broadly speaking there are two different types of O2 sensor available, wideband and narrowband. Both sensors have their place in tuning an engine, narrowband sensors are designed to be used in conjunction with a catalytic converter.

In brief a catalytic converter works on a saturate/starve principal where the fuel injection system saturates the converter then starves the converter, i.e. it runs rich of 14.7:1 (saturate) then lean of 14.7:1 (starve) and as such a narrowband O2 sensor only reads rich of 14.7:1 or lean of 14.7:1.

Unfortunately a narrowband O2 sensor is unable to determine exactly how rich or exactly how lean the engine is running making it useless for full power engine calibration (as under full power we need to run the engine much richer that 14.7:1 so we don't melt pistons!).

A wideband O2 sensor on the other hand is designed to read a much broader spectrum of air to fuel ratios (The Haltech CAN wideband reads accurately from 10:1 – 20:1 air fuel ratio) which makes it the ideal tool for engine calibration.

Bullitt-

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 28, 2018, 12:05:57 PM

The sensor you linked is a standard four wire oxygen sensor.... It reads a narrow range right around 13.5-14.5.... Perfect for a fuel injected vehicle but not suitable for tuning a performance oriented carbureted vehicle... 

The thing that has made A/F gauges possible is a five wire wide band sensor that can read a wide range from 9-17+

Here's a cut & paste from Haltech...

Broadly speaking there are two different types of O2 sensor available, wideband and narrowband. Both sensors have their place in tuning an engine, narrowband sensors are designed to be used in conjunction with a catalytic converter.

In brief a catalytic converter works on a saturate/starve principal where the fuel injection system saturates the converter then starves the converter, i.e. it runs rich of 14.7:1 (saturate) then lean of 14.7:1 (starve) and as such a narrowband O2 sensor only reads rich of 14.7:1 or lean of 14.7:1.

Unfortunately a narrowband O2 sensor is unable to determine exactly how rich or exactly how lean the engine is running making it useless for full power engine calibration (as under full power we need to run the engine much richer that 14.7:1 so we don't melt pistons!).

A wideband O2 sensor on the other hand is designed to read a much broader spectrum of air to fuel ratios (The Haltech CAN wideband reads accurately from 10:1 – 20:1 air fuel ratio) which makes it the ideal tool for engine calibration.

I saw some of those 5-wire and they are indeed more expensive... I happened upon this unit that seems like a deal that's to good to to be true.  Elsewhere $160+
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-30-4110-WIDEBAND-O2-UEGO-CONTROLLER-AIR-FUEL-RATIO-GAUGE-KIT-BOSCH-4-9-LSU/142884597390?hash=item214495ee8e%3Ag%3AAFEAAOSwawZbWuLL&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=aem+wideband&_from=R40&rt=nc&_blrs=recall_filtering
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

RUNCHARGER

Thanks Wild. Good info in a very easy to understand few sentences.
Sheldon

Brads70

Ok for 20 bucks, I'll bite.... I just ordered one? Tried to buy 2 but it wouldn't let me? LOL