Main Menu

Best media to use in HarborF blast cabinet?

Started by Jocigar, June 25, 2019, 06:30:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Just purchased a free-standing blast cabinet from harbor freight. 

I had some old media that I think was called black beauty... not flowing well at all.   

maybe the grit is too coarse?  any suggestions, this is a suction type system (mostly for rust removal on steel parts).    thanks!

JS29

I use glass beads in mine, black beauty is way to coarse for what you have.  :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

I have a Scat Blast but I've used both media types. Glass beads are the way to go.

Also, don't put in the whole bag at once. In an empty machine, put in a few cups only. Use it until it get completely pulverized and useless, then empty out what's left and put in a few cups of new media. Your media will last a lot longer and cut better.

Chryco Psycho

I have mostly used glass , depending what you are blasting different media will work well , even walnut shells can be used

Jocigar

thanks all,  good tip on putting in a little at a time. 

what glass grit should I use for longest life without sacrificing flow?   blasting suspension parts, exhaust manifolds, bolts and rear drums.

plan on using 29 gal 2 hp HF compressor.  will this be ok for low use small jobs.

erik70rt

I have the HF blasting cabinet, too.  Excellent for us at home hobby guys.  I use glass, soda, and the black silica.  You're right in the black flows horribly. 

Your HF compressor will most likely not be strong enough and will be running constantly.  What is the CFM @ 90 psi rating?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

ratroaster

shadango

Quote from: erik70rt on June 27, 2019, 11:22:54 AM
I have the HF blasting cabinet, too.  Excellent for us at home hobby guys.  I use glass, soda, and the black silica.  You're right in the black flows horribly. 

Your HF compressor will most likely not be strong enough and will be running constantly.  What is the CFM @ 90 psi rating?

A little off topic but since you mentioned soda blasting....

HF has a portable soda blaster unit....how much mess does soda make?  I am looking to redo my trunk floor in what is basically a finished driving car.....used chemical stripper for part of it and its a PITA.......is there any way to use soda and NOT make a big mess?