Main Menu

Best time of year to sell cars??

Started by Deadeye74, October 20, 2017, 10:39:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Deadeye74

Hey guys...sorry if this has been covered before but I did a search and nothing showed up. I would like to get your feedback on the "best" time of the year to sell. I know there are many variables and wildcards...but in general...those of you have that have been buying and selling over the years probably have a better sense for it than I. I'm not talking new cars either...strictly our E-bodies or closely related.

My thinking is this...if I was buying a project car I would buy it late summer to fall...reason being to work on it over the winter and have it ready for spring. (I know..wishful thinking) For a driver or completed resto car I would buy it spring or summer. Now this theory is me thinking like a buyer but trying to predict timing as a seller.

So what is the consensus and what am I not seeing? Lets say for light project cars and driver cars...and buying vs selling.  I know total resto cars will take much longer so timing may not matter...so I say light as in a small amount of body, paint and minor mechanical issues to get a decent driver.

Cuda Cody

Best time to sell, Around Barrett Jackson or early Spring.  Best time to buy, late summer / early fall.  Especially if you plan to pick it up and don't want to deal with mountain pass snow.

1 Wild R/T

When you have a buyer thats willing to pay your price....

Currently selling another house and hearing "spring and summer are the right time"... BS.. I've sold A couple times at the"wrong time" if what your selling is what someone is looking for & they have the $$ it'll sell....

Deadeye74

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 20, 2017, 10:44:55 AM
Best time to sell, Around Barrett Jackson or early Spring.  Best time to buy, late summer / early fall.  Especially if you plan to pick it up and don't want to deal with mountain pass snow.

So it doesn't matter what condition the car is in?

Deadeye74

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 20, 2017, 10:49:29 AM
When you have a buyer thats willing to pay your price....

Currently selling another house and hearing "spring and summer are the right time"... BS.. I've sold A couple times at the"wrong time" if what your selling is what someone is looking for & they have the $$ it'll sell....

Exactly...thats what I meant about the variables and wildcards.

72 Challenger

I sold my 1974 Challenger this summer (July) in 5 days. Mid summer. It wasn't the greatest car on the road but it was a nice driver. I had it listed for 17,900 CAD got 16,500 which was 500 bucks over what my let it go price was.

Bought my new car end of Sept, it was a "total resto" car.

People have ideas of when is the best time to sell but, a good car, with a well worded ad and quality pictures will sell regardless of the time of year. People over look the importance of a well thought out ad - way more important that the time of year. Don't forget a realistic asking price, nothing screams waste of to time to prospective buyers like a pie in the sky price.

As for buying, I don't think there is a better season. I may be a bit bitter because most cars that I want to buy come around when my roof is leaking, my daily driver hits a deer, a need to plan a wedding....  :))
Someday I will have a J0b.

303 Mopar

Best time to sell, to not only sell relatively quick and get a fair price, is Spring because the buyer can go enjoy in with the warm months coming up.  This is especially true for any convertibles.

RUNCHARGER

Sort of spring but when a car comes up I want, I don't look at the calendar. I do look all year too.
Sheldon

Deadeye74

@72 Challenger ...I do agree that a good ad is key. I see so many ads that leave me with more questions than facts...and some you just have to say HUH?. Also I know that road well...thats what happened with my Cuda...started resto then kids were born..houses bought..health crapped out...and twenty years later your like well that didnt go as planned!  :rolleyes:

Thanks 303 and Runcharger...I guess I have been overthinking the timing too much. Either that or subconsciously I cant get myself to click that SELL button as she has been with me for 28 years now. Oh well...thanks again for your input all!  :slapme5:

HP2

When I was in the parts sales business things would definitely pick up significantly in February and would peak in April. They would then decline over the summer and virtually stop Nov-Jan. However, complete cars are a bit of a different category.

IMO, it really depends on the car and it status.  The higher the desirability of it, the wider the selling window is. The more common and generic it is, the sales earlier in the year when the auction houses are gearing up to early summer are the best times. Assuming its a driver. Projects are another animal that would also have the variability of desirability but still have a wider window of sales. If anything, project car sales would slow while running car sales may  peak and vice-versa.

But, I have much more experience in parts sales than car sales.

Deadeye74

@HP2 ...interesting info on the parts aspect of it. I wonder too how much tax refunds play in to it...I know..REFUND...yeah right. :unbelievable:

HP2

I don't doubt tax refunds play into it. So does pent up demand from holiday spending on the family along with a bit of cabin fever and BJ reruns.

Deadeye74

Blake@diyhemi.com

I'm having troubles even getting bites or inquiries on the 74 Dart I listed last weekend. I priced the car at average NADA value of $9,000 with little interest. People are asking $5,000-$7,500 for project cars in worse shape down here.

So I dropped the price to $8,200 and still not much activity. One guy is looking at it this weekend but I don't have high hopes.

Here is the ad, is there something I'm missing? https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-dodge-dart-swinger-360/6356560801.html?lang=en&cc=us

I had one offer of $6,500 and one $7,000, both sight unseen internet messages ( no faith in them being serious)

Am I crazy to think a heavily optioned 74 Swinger in good driver shape with fresh engine and interior and all the things listed is worth $8,200 US?

Heck, my complete project of a barn find Barracuda cost almost that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

69bronzeT5

I can't say..... I never sell anything  :rofl:

Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/