Main Menu

Black, White and Shades Of Gray = Boring

Started by 71vert340, August 02, 2020, 02:39:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

Is it just me or is the world losing it's sense of color. Driving down the street or in parking lots, there's very little color to the cars. A red or blue car here and there. Once in a while a bright green or yellow. It's really boring going through the day to day drive to the store or wherever. Don't get me wrong, I like to see the occasional restored black, white or silver car at a car show but  I feel the cars for sale on the car lots now are boring except for the occasional one with a bright color. Bring back the bright colors of the early 70s. 80% of the cars now lack color. I served on gray ships in the Navy. Boring.
Terry

screamindriver

Black is in...I grew up in the bright/chrome wheel era of car culture and still like that...I was going over the option list on a new Corvette and the black wheel option costs more than a chrome wheel{?}...And it can't be anything more than the factory trying to bump up the price on what they perceive as the popular "in" choice for the wheel selection...Don't get me wrong some cars look absolutely stunning in black..I've got a new black SS Camaro in my fleet and it looks and feels like the batmobile on the road...So I get it to a certain extent  :alan2cents:

Spikedog08

Statistically speaking,  a lot of the bold colors attract the attention of the law more than the boring colors.  I do agree with you, driving back from Carlisle last year I noticed the color of the cars coming the other way on the expressway and how boring they were.  Think I went 15 minutes before a lime colored Jeep went by.  Certainly made me realize how boring the cars are these days. 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

I agree, Black is always great but not a white or grey fan and there what's out there right now.
Sheldon

HP2

Market research has proven that the more financially stressful times are, the more boring car colors tend to be. Ever wonder why the late 70s were so full of brown, gold, and green cars? That time frame sucked. Similar could be said of things now.

JS29

If you look in my paint cabinet, You will find more silver than anything else.  :headbang:

Brads70

Quote from: Spikedog08 on August 02, 2020, 03:09:33 PM
Statistically speaking,  a lot of the bold colors attract the attention of the law more than the boring colors. 

I hear that. When driving around my town and I see a cop it's a 50-50 chance they will turn around and follow me. I've been clear across town before and they follow me turn for turn right to my driveway. That's happened 4-5 times now in the 10 years I've owned the car.  I'm not sure if they are liking the car or waiting for me to go over the speed limit so they can be a hero and write me a ticket?
To be fair some of the local police are " car guys" and do own some pretty cool cars and I see them at shows etc.. I do have a few of them as customers for my business too. so...?  That being said I've only had 1 ticket in the Challenger and that was 5 years or so ago, driving to Carlisle.(PA State Trooper)  And I deserved that one!  ;)

Burdar

I wasn't around back in the day to remember what colors most cars were.  However, I like watching CHiPs for all the old cars in the background.  Most of them are pretty bland.  Just because the manufactures offered high impact colors, doesn't mean most cars on the road were painted those colors.  My guess is that the 60s and 70 still had mostly bland colors with the occasional high impact color thrown in just like today.

70/6chall

Terry, yeah your pretty spot on about mundane colored cars nowadays. However I have seen some bright colors, on a few Jeeps, Durango's and Ram trucks. However moreover you'll find the typical grays, silvers and yes, black and white. I purchased a new Hyundai Santa Fe XL last year. Living in SoCal I chose White, with urgings from my wife. A/C wise helps reflect a lot triple digit heat away from surface of vehicle, keeping interior heat factor down. I also co-signed for my oldest Son and his family, a new Jeep Cherokee, yes all in black, his choice of color. I lived at the age of 23 when our cars were new. I purchased a '70 Challenger as a daily driver/work car. It was a trade-in from the local Dodge dealership in 1972. The color Go-Mango Orange w/ the good old Slant6 for some MPG's. Out of all the e-bodies (Challengers) I've owned, I love this one the most. Now in my 70's this is the one I have left. Just bury me in it thank you.   Al

Mopsquad

Most cars these days are pre-ordered by the dealership (as opposed to the past where you can pick the car you want and have the factory build it for you).   They know that there is an increase chance of selling a car if it is neutral.  Bold or bright colors are polarizing and experience tells the dealer that although catchy to the eye, it's a harder car to sell. 

RUNCHARGER

I have never wanted to fit in. Ha, ha, I could keep going but I won't.
Sheldon

Burdar

75 Road Runner...I really like the look of those.

RUNCHARGER

They are kind of quirky. First new car I ever bought. The 400 ran good for a new 75.
Sheldon

Burdar

One year only Road Runner.  I'd like to see more pics if you have them.