Main Menu

Chance at two 74' Cudas...Help Needed!!

Started by RGAS88, December 17, 2018, 08:22:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RGAS88

Hello Everyone,

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help me out. I know the 70-71 Cudas are the more desirable of the bunch, but what are your thoughts on the 74' Cudas? Do these have some rarity in itself? Not everyday you get a chance at these cars! I have an opportunity to buy from a private seller a 74' Cuda 360 4 speed manual all numbers matching except for the engine (in running condition) and another 74' Cuda 318 automatic (not in running condition), which the owner would ideally like to sell together. Plan was to use one as a part doner. Both have been in storage for well over 15 plus years to my knowledge. I spoke with the owner over the phone and planning to meet with him in the coming weeks to discuss a price. What are your thoughts on these? As soon as I get the chance I will post some pics of both Cudas. Thanks in advance for your help!

anlauto

The 360 4speed is pretty rare...It would be nice to restore back to original....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

All Cuda's are rare.  The 360's are cool and all 4 speeds are desirable.  It would depend on the price.

And Welcome to the site @RGAS88   :welcome:

JS29

:welcome: from central New York,  :iagree: with both above statements!  :cheers:

headejm

As with any potential car project...What is the price? What is the condition of the car(s)? What level of restoration are you interested in? What will it be worth when you are finished? Do you care about money (lol)?

As discussed many times on this forum, bodywork and paint alone can approach or exceed $20,000 (unless you can do that type of work). Add the driveline rebuild, parts, and various component restorations and you are looking at another $20,000 or so. That's why the more desirable E-bodies (the ones that can command the higher prices) are usually the ones that get restored to the higher levels.

It's really a personal decision. If the 1974 is in good shape as is, the price is right, and you can just spend a small amount of $ to make you happy, buy it and enjoy it. It is still a cool car that was built 44 years ago. There is only a limited number of any of the E-bodies available and they are all worthy of ownership. You will need a budget and try to stick with it. Otherwise, you will get upside down financially very quickly. Typical restorations include many unplanned expenditures (just ask anyone who has ever restored an E-body).

The Cuda guys on here will love this one...I think all the Barracudas/Cudas basically look alike. To me, there is no big difference between the various years like the Challengers. So, a nice 1974 Cuda is not out of place among the other years of Cudas.

headejm

P.S.  :welcome: from Central Illinois! Keep us posted on your progress. We love lots of pictures!

RGAS88

Thanks for the help! I have attached some pictures of the Cudas.

7212Mopar

So is the blue one the 4 speed car? If only one can be saved, you should be able to get some money back by selling parts off the other car that you do not need. Try to save both if you can or let someone else save it if you only need one car. For me, the Cuda round tail lights look the best. This is a hobby and most of these cars are really grown up toys. Only the rare ones are investments.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

RGAS88

Yes the blue one is the 4 speed. There is ample quarter panels if needed and all parts are there. I just need to find out what he is asking in price for both or separate. For the blue Cuda body seems all original and all the body vins are matching. Just the engine seems to have been swapped out.

Rich G.

Yes the 70-71 Cuda's are more desirable and worth more but there's nothing wrong with the 72-74 Cuda's either! I'd buy any year Cuda that came my way if I had the opportunity. I never met a Cuda I didn't like!

CudaMoparRay

Cudakiller70

kawahonda

Quote from: headejm on December 17, 2018, 09:14:50 AM
As discussed many times on this forum, bodywork and paint alone can approach or exceed $20,000 (unless you can do that type of work). Add the driveline rebuild, parts, and various component restorations and you are looking at another $20,000 or so. That's why the more desirable E-bodies (the ones that can command the higher prices) are usually the ones that get restored to the higher levels.

Yep, even if you can do paint/body work, it's still several thousand dollars to do it yourself. Paint and primer ain't cheap!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama  :wave:
74 360 4 spd are rare beasts still not enitrely valuable though good luck on the purchase

71-440

:welcome:

Welcome aboard! I owned a 74 Barracuda back in the 80's. 318 auto. Wish I still had it.
Joe