Main Menu

Cool Challenger 1/25 model release

Started by JH27N0B, October 06, 2023, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

AMT has a model series based on the USPS muscle car stamps that were out a few years ago.  They are going to release a model based on the purple Challenger R/T stamp that was on that sheet.
The model itself looks like the AMT 1/25 Challenger R/T that has been on the market in various forms over the years.  The biggest flaw is that the body and roof are two pieces so it takes a lot of putty and bodywork to get a good looking hardtop replica.
The coolest thing to me about this kit, is that the model comes in a nicely decorated tin box that will be cool to display or use for storing small items after building the model.
The new kit is shown starting at the 18:54 point of the video.  A new '69 Barracuda model is also featured in this video.

RUNCHARGER

I wonder where the original MPC molds went? They had really nice bodies, I still have an original 71 R/T, it's a bit rough though as it's been through several paint jobs etc.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

I wonder if they modified the tooling each year for the annuals for the design changes of the new model year car?
It's possible the AMT kit was developed from that vintage tooling too, as there has been a lot of consolidation of the model companies over the years.  There is no AMT or MPC companies anymore, those brands are owned by someone else. 
Monogram was in my area, in Morton Grove Illinois.  I remember when we'd drive by it as a kid I was fascinated that some of the models I built came from that place only 5 or 6 miles southeast of our house.
It eventually got bought out by Revell, Revell ended up owned by some company called Hobbico or something like that.  They actually had a HQ office somewhere in this area, I even had a phone interview with them for a product manager position around 2010.  For the best I wasn't hired, they went bankrupt a few years later, and I think someone is still making their model line, but not sure who.
Sadly kids became less and less interested in building models over the years.  Though in recent times kits made from Legos have become really popular.  They are cool, but definitely not nearly as realistic looking, so one has to wonder why Lego kits are so popular yet realistic replica plastic model kits are not.

70vert

Pretty cool, thanks.
So by removable top does that mean it would "look" like a convertible? that would be awesome. I'm not a model guy but might be interested in that!

JH27N0B

I've built the AMT model twice.  The first time I built it as a convertible, the kit came with 2 tops as I recall, a hard top and a convertible top.  I used the boot that came with the kit and display the model top down.
I built it as a replica of my convertible.
My recollection is the box showed a built convertible on it.
The second time I built the AMT model, I used aftermarket resin parts and decal sheet to make a replica of my 71 Challenger R/T.  It's been over 10 years since I did that, but my recollection is that a lot of putty and sanding were required to make the installed hard top look good after gluing it on.

RUNCHARGER

Yes, the "modern" AMT's did not impress me that much. I believe the original MPC's were updated every year for the changes the MFGrs did annually back then.
Sheldon

bentpshrods

That's going to hurt the ole wallet this month. Will be adding a bunch of these to the stash. I have been building models off and on for over fifty years now.  My job allowed me to take winter lay off, and since I hate the cold I would just hole up in my basement and build models. About 7-8 years ago I started putting them in dioramas. I'll have to start a thread showing these. The new release in the tin box is very cool.  Here is my latest build. My car broke down this spring and a guy I met at a car show just gave me the parts to fix it. So I am making him this shadow box with a replica of his AAR .