Main Menu

Vented fenders

Started by jordan, December 28, 2020, 09:47:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jordan

I was detailing my chassis last weekend.  I had my 71 Cuda up on a lift with the wheels off.  As my friend and I were looking at things, we started talking about the gilled fenders.  We then had the discussion about modern sport cars that have vented fender wells.  I started wondering if anyone actually modified the gills to be open. Or has anyone opened the fender liner so that air can escape through modified vents?  Is some sort of plenum connecting all of the vents to the fender liner ever been explored?  What really happens when the trapped air is removed from under the fenders?  Does that prevent front lift at speed?  Is it useless on our old cars because there is just so much volume in the fenders that no vent would be big enough?  Would it be a cool look if the gills were opened and remounted in a way that let some air out?  It doesn't seem too difficult to modify the fender liner and open up the gills.  Some time and effort, but not another level of auto genius. 
     Does anyone know about the air dynamics in the fenders?  Could be something to wonder about to get some more top speed and better high speed handling.
    Didn't the wing race cars have vents on top of the fender?  I know they were cut out for tire clearance, but the track car fenders were vented too. 
     Just a thought I guess.  Not sure I have seen this talked about before.  Thanks for the opinions. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

dodj

I remember back in the eighties one of the car mags saying you could get better 1/4 mile times by lifting the back of the hood to relieve the the air pressure,  but nothing about the fenders.  I had thought fender ducts were faux brake cooling ducts?
Interested to see what others have to say on the subject.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

torredcuda

Most race cars duct air in to cool the brakes and then out to relieve the pressure. I`m sure it depends on the aerodynamics of each car as to where they are best and how effective they work, most aero stuff starts working around 100mph and above. I think it would cool if it fits the theme of your car - won`t hurt and might help so why not try it.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

HP2

All the air going through the grill goes into the engine bay blows out underneath the car, unless your caster/camber bolt covers are missing then some is bleeding into the fenders.  I doubt enough air is building up in side the fender for the gills to create a positive flow out. They may be better suited to evacuating hot air from the engine bay than any aerodynamic aid, provided you have a corresponding hole in the inner fender to use convection to move the hot air up and out.