Main Menu

Edelbrock Carb

Started by js27, February 18, 2020, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bennydodge

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 18, 2020, 05:18:03 PM
You should have joined us at the dyno last year we dialed in a small block, we made 20 pulls as I recall & were averaging a pull every 12 mins making changes between each pull , manifolds vs 2 types of headers , 3 different carbs , different carb spacers , changed timing jetting , air bleeds !!
At the end the dyno Operator was claiming that a factory 650 AVS would kill the Proform we tuned , I should have put $$ on it , I guess I am too nice , I gave the dyno guy the best shot too , it took the carb a part & went through it making sure everything was set as well as it could be , the floats were off of course , the jetting was close & it still cost 52 HP with no other changes to the engine  & the AVS is a far better carb than the Eddy !!

I'm guessing more CFM was the main reason for your power gains. I'll bet a 1,000 CFM competition series ThermoQuad would pick up as much as a big Holley. For reference I went from an 800 cfm eddy AVS to a Holley 870 Avenger and picked up 1 tenth at the track and that was after countless hours tuning the Holley and setting only the mix on the 800 eddy-wonder how well the 800 would've done with more tuning...
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

Rich G.

I have an Edelbrock on my 51 Dodge pick up with a 400 in it. 11k miles on it and haven't touched it once. Runs great. Performer cam manifold and carb.

Chryco Psycho

650 proform vs 650 AVS .... so not so much other than no choke on the Proform
I promise you there is more power & potentially milage in your pkg Rich if  tuned 100%
This is why when milage questions come up I don't bother to post my results as no one believes them anyway but when you really tune a carb .....
I am not trying to change the world but I like to get as much as possible out of every engine or $ I spend  :bigthumb:
Whatever makes you happy which is why ice cream is available in both Chocolate & Vanilla  :haha:

bennydodge

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 18, 2020, 08:37:17 PM
650 proform vs 650 AVS .... so not so much other than no choke on the Proform
I promise you there is more power & potentially milage in your pkg Rich if  tuned 100%
This is why when milage questions come up I don't bother to post my results as no one believes them anyway but when you really tune a carb .....
I am not trying to change the world but I like to get as much as possible out of every engine or $ I spend  :bigthumb:
Whatever makes you happy which is why ice cream is available in both Chocolate & Vanilla  :haha:

Oh that proform flows more cfm than a factory 625 AVS. How does 1 dyno session incriminate ALL edelbrock carbs as junk?? I'll introduce you to my "dyno"-Bandimere Speedway. I've been running some sort of Mopar up there for 30 years now. I went back and looked at my  Timeslips-

Elevation 5800 ft
DA 10,400 ft
Track surface temp over 100 deg.

Holley 870 Avenger LOTS of tuning-best MPH 108.8
Proform 850 with tuning as well-best MPH 108.1
Eddy 800 AVS minimal tuning-best MPH 107.9
Street Demon 750 moderate tuning-best MPH 107.3

I'm no rocket scientist but there's no "50 hp" difference here at all. So I guess by the results of my testing I can say ALL Holley's are overrated and only worth 1 mph at a dragstrip :haha: See my point? I'm with RUNCHARGER on this one-tune the eddy-they're so damn easy to work on also.

1973 Challenger 340
2010 Dodge 3500 dually

Chryco Psycho

your choice
& a 800 AVS is a whole better carb that the 1406 & 1411 afb

JS29

:iagree: Edelbrock carbs are not my favorite, I like Quick fuel of Holley.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

AVS is a better carb for sure but I would work with what he has and if for some reason it is untuneable (worn throttle shafts, casting flaw, warping etc) I would add a basic injection system rather than buy a new carb. These days it's either work with whats on there or go injection in my world.
Sheldon

dodj

Like JS29 I prefer quickfuel, but I'm thinking JS27 just got the car and is just looking to lean it out a bit and enjoy a cruise without excessive exhaust smell.
So I would do what Sheldon said.

If max HP is the aim, I would not disregard CP's advice. He's given me good advice over the last decade.
:alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

:bigthumb:
Quote from: bennydodge on February 19, 2020, 07:12:16 AM

Oh that proform flows more cfm than a factory 625 AVS.

SO you agree a 650 proform is a much better carb than the same size  Avs or the Afb ?
Thanks Dodj  :twothumbsup:

js27

Quote from: dodj on February 19, 2020, 08:19:09 AM
Like JS29 I prefer quickfuel, but I'm thinking JS27 just got the car and is just looking to lean it out a bit and enjoy a cruise without excessive exhaust smell.
So I would do what Sheldon said.

If max HP is the aim, I would not disregard CP's advice. He's given me good advice over the last decade.
:alan2cents:

You hit the nail right on the head.
JS27

bennydodge

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 19, 2020, 07:38:52 PM
:bigthumb:
Quote from: bennydodge on February 19, 2020, 07:12:16 AM

Oh that proform flows more cfm than a factory 625 AVS.

SO you agree a 650 proform is a much better carb than the same size  Avs or the Afb ?
Thanks Dodj  :twothumbsup:

No, I DO NOT agree. Just because it moves more air doesn't make it "better".
1973 Challenger 340
2010 Dodge 3500 dually

js27

I check the Carb this weekend, It is a 1406 or a 600 CFM.
JS27