Main Menu

Edelbrock Carb

Started by js27, February 18, 2020, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

My New Satellite has a Edelbrock intake and Carb. You can smell the richness even at idle. I never owned one so are there adjustments you can make to lean it out. I worked with Holley's my whole life. Changing jets was easy.
JS27

73_Cuda_4_Me

Do you know what model carb? Is there a cam in the engine now? What is the vacuum at idle? The step-up springs may be too strong for the vacuum at idle, causing it to run pig rich at idle...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Rich G.

Edelbrocks are easier to change then Holley. They do make a kit if you wanted to play.

js27

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on February 18, 2020, 09:43:27 AM
Do you know what model carb? Is there a cam in the engine now? What is the vacuum at idle? The step-up springs may be too strong for the vacuum at idle, causing it to run pig rich at idle...
Yes there is a cam but have no idea what the specs are-I haven't had much time to dig into yet. I will check the numbers on the carb this weekend. I am trying to the guy who sold me the car to get the original owner info to me so I can find out all of what he did.-No I do not have a vacuum gauge.
JS27

73_Cuda_4_Me

For a 318 with 360 heads, it's probably around a 600 cfm... if it has an automatic choke, it would probably be a 1406 (like mine)... if it's a manual choke, it is probably a 1405...

The 1405 is considered a street performance carb, and has a richer mixture than the 1406 right out of the box...

One problem I had with mine was the step up rod was actually stuck open with some fine grit that got in the bore of the vacuum piston that pulls the rod down to lean out the idle mix...

BS23H3B

RUNCHARGER

Super easy to tune. First step is to try tuning the mixture screws. Second step without a vacuum gauge is to remove a step up rod plate and verify the step up rods are being pulled down at idle. Then go from there.
If the step up rods are not being pulled down at idle you will need lighter step up springs, at this point you might as well buy a vacuum gauge to do it logically.
Sheldon

73_Cuda_4_Me

This REALLY made a difference in setting my 1406 up to run with my 340 automatic...

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?74438-Trouble-Tuning-the-Edelbrock-Performer-1406-Carb-Read-On

Unfortunately, the charts are blurred out now... but the text description still  applies...

BS23H3B

Chryco Psycho

I would toss it & buy a Proform , I have done everything to Eddy carbs to make them work , bolt on a Holley & you have 50 Hp More instantly no matter what you do with the eddy

RUNCHARGER

Why throw $400 at a 1 hour problem?
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Because ...
- they are not adjustable
- I have crimped & soldered the brass tubes trying to alter the air bleeds  so it would run correctly
I have made my own metering rods too try to get the correct combo
- I always have to set floats First as they are never right
- you need to put 2 - 5/16 or 3/8  holes in the counterweight of the rear air door or it will not open even close to soon enough
- you still lose 50 hp or more

Trust me I have tried everything with eddy Carbs nothing truely works  even with 30 hours !
Besides 50 Hp for $400 is cheap in my books  :thinking:

RUNCHARGER

I think his car is most likely pretty stock, I have installed lots of them in instances like that and it's usually a matter of checking setings and making sure no one else was in there ahead of me messing them up.
Sheldon

73_Cuda_4_Me

BS23H3B

Chryco Psycho

Not in my case,  out of the box they are terrible , Floats are never right , this is the First thing to check , 1406 is always lean at cruise , air bleed size is almost always wrong causing insensitive idle adjustment , anywhere within  turns is usually ok .
I have spend hours trying to correct them , then I bolt on a Proform & have it tuned virtually perfectly  in 2 hours easily

Chryco Psycho

You should have joined us at the dyno last year we dialed in a small block, we made 20 pulls as I recall & were averaging a pull every 12 mins making changes between each pull , manifolds vs 2 types of headers , 3 different carbs , different carb spacers , changed timing jetting , air bleeds !!
At the end the dyno Operator was claiming that a factory 650 AVS would kill the Proform we tuned , I should have put $$ on it , I guess I am too nice , I gave the dyno guy the best shot too , it took the carb a part & went through it making sure everything was set as well as it could be , the floats were off of course , the jetting was close & it still cost 52 HP with no other changes to the engine  & the AVS is a far better carb than the Eddy !!

bennydodge

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 18, 2020, 01:53:44 PM
I would toss it & buy a Proform , I have done everything to Eddy carbs to make them work , bolt on a Holley & you have 50 Hp More instantly no matter what you do with the eddy

Stop the BS for God's sake...He ain't picking up 50 hp by changing to ANY Holley on a mild 318. Don't get me wrong, I like Holley's, but this is just bad advice to the OP. I'm guessing 30 minutes of tuning the 600 Edelbrock will help a lot..
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8