Main Menu

Features on new cars that are going extinct: keys, spare tires, idling?

Started by Cuda Cody, October 10, 2018, 06:07:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

We've all heard that the manual transmission is becoming a thing of the past, but there's some other features on cars that are going away too.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/new-car-features-and-the-ones-theyre-making-extinct

40% of all new cars are now coming with start / stop technology! Does that scare anyone? What about the wear and tear that causes? Anyone have a start / stop car?

GoodysGotaCuda

My Wife's last two cars have had start/stop, it's not too bad. 2016 BMW X1 and a 2017 Toyota Highlander.

It works pretty seamless, I suspect the starter duty cycles have been bumped up to account for the much higher life cycle they need to have. I do love not having a key for her car, walk up and hit the button. My lowly Subaru still has a standard key and I've grown to find it annoying.

The Highlander also has lane keeping, which is kind of neat, it helps you manage the lane while you do your makeup and post to Ebodies.org while going 70mph down the highway.  :stop:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Racer57

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 10, 2018, 06:07:46 PM
We've all heard that the manual transmission is becoming a thing of the past, but there's some other features on cars that are going away too.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/new-car-features-and-the-ones-theyre-making-extinct

40% of all new cars are now coming with start / stop technology! Does that scare anyone? What about the wear and tear that causes? Anyone have a start / stop car?
Wifes car is a Lincoln SUV and it has it. She thinks its great. I haven't had a chance to "play" with it yet.

71-440

My 2016 Charger has the start/stop button. I can get used to it.

To be honest though When I picked up my 71 Challenger and put the key in the ignition it was like having sex......well almost.... :vipermanhiding:

Joe

ledphoot

The internal combustion engine is on its way to the graveyard... I am fairly certain that will occur in our lifetime.

My daily driver is a Chevrolet Bolt, all electric, my commute is 30 miles each way, I charge at home. It costs me ~$3 a day to drive the 60 miles round trip. Thats equivalent to 80 MPG. The car has ~200 HP and does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, torque is instant.

My next commuter when I turn this one in two years from now is likely to be the Tesla 3, my supervisor just got a performance model and it's AWD configuration hits 60 in 3.5 seconds, it's scary fast.. He paid $68K for it.. Not sure I will go that far, or if the wife will let me, but this is what the market is trending to. There are four Tesla 3's, 2 model s's, two model x's,  height Nissan leafs, four Chevy bolts, a Fiat 500e, a couple BMW I drives and we don't even have chargers at work yet. Those are going in next month.. When that happens the electric vehicle footprint will change dramatically. There are 200 people at my office and they are putting in 16 charging stations.

Maintenance on electric cars.... next to nothing drivetrain wise. 1 year in, 15K miles and all I have done is plug it in and drive. Will be replacing tires soon since the cheap tires provided and the massive torque combined with my Led Foot equals worn out tires.

mopar jack

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: ledphoot on October 10, 2018, 07:04:58 PM
The internal combustion engine is on its way to the graveyard... I am fairly certain that will occur in our lifetime.

..it will, but I'll be hanging onto my gas burner as long as possible. As fast as the electrics are, they offer little thrill to me. It can't replace hammering the brakes, rev matching two down shifts and laying the power down on corner exit!
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

71-440

I see more electric cars here too. A lot of commercial business's are putting in charging stations. 

Joe

BIGSHCLUNK

Personally I see stop/start becoming a disaster as these cars age...... not right now (maybe) but as time goes.....

Its winter you need a jump... you get a jump... you make it to the first stop light....................

Your starter takes a crap while your in line to get on the interstate......

Your at Micky D's in the drive thru..... your alternator dies.......

I could go on for an hour with examples.... now if batteries and starters and charging systems would never die..... ?? we're good! Ya I suppose you saved a few bucks on gas thru the course of a year but, when you daughter's car dies in that busy intersection and your clear across town, in the blizzard.....  :deadhorse:

Give it a few years and the stories will start rollin' on in....

We've already got a bunch in the yard, there built no better than the conventional's. I've had them as rental cars too.

And yes we've had calls on "spares",  What do you mean?? They don't make one for my car???? ..... oh ya been there too.....

ledphoot

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on October 10, 2018, 07:37:51 PM
Quote from: ledphoot on October 10, 2018, 07:04:58 PM

..it will, but I'll be hanging onto my gas burner as long as possible. As fast as the electrics are, they offer little thrill to me. It can't replace hammering the brakes, rev matching two down shifts and laying the power down on corner exit!

My Cuda is NEVER going anywhere. But it's not a practical daily driver, especially with >500HP.. I wouldn't daily drive a Challenger SRT8 either.

If you ever get to drive a performance edition Tesla, you may be shocked at the giggle factor they can induce. So surprisingly quick, quiet and they handle pretty good too. I am a computer nerd, so I love the tech. It's quite likely I will build my own electric car at some point. I am looking for the right donor, currently leaning towards a 1979 Mazda RX7.

Here's a mustang that's been converted to electric.. Not really what I am in to, but it's an idea of what people do with electrics these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vTCK9ywBA

ToxicWolf

I have no plans to EVER own an electric car.  However, I really enjoy my wife's Prius.  The thing I like about it is that it has a gas engine with electric backup. It never needs to be plugged in.  And it's averaging 65 mpg ... When my wife is driving the car.  I'm lucky to get 55 mpg.  :haha:

RUNCHARGER

Electric cars are greats for other people. I'm using all the gas I can get my hands on and I keep the window down when I get on it so I can hear the music.
I think electric is probably the way of the future though and that's good as long as they lay off bugging old car owners. Hobby cars don't use much gas in the big scheme of things. So in a free world we should be allowed and encouraged to enjoy our old cars, commuters can use electric or whatever.
My wife's Mercedes had that stop and start stuff and it was fine I suppose. I made sure to get rid of that clunker before it got too old though. When I finally get rid of her current Mercedes I'll probably buy her a Civic with the least amount of stuff on it that can go wrong.
Sheldon

ledphoot

I am no tree hugging hippie by any stretch of the imagination, I love my gas powered vehicles, I have several. Just calling it how I see it. Keep an eye on Ford and GM's model lineup over the next three years. The writing is on the wall.

shawge

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

dave73

my new ram doesn't have a cd player...didn't realize it until I already bought it