Main Menu

Fellow Moparians, Any Investment Diversification Advice?

Started by 7E-Bodies, February 03, 2021, 03:38:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rikkitik

Just my 2 cents, as each person's retirement strategy is completely unique to the individual.
I was able to retire at 59 1/2, with (luckily) 2 pensions (I will turn 64 this year).
I was able to have my wife retire at 55, because of several circumstances that led to a nice dollar amount in her 401k.
I have managed her IRA, and despite her being retired at 55 and having to pay the 12.5% combined penalties, her IRA balance has decreased by about 3.5% over the past 3 1/2 years.
Vanguard (VWIAX) has been a good diversified fund. A quarterly dividend based fund (bond biased), which only decreased apprx. 30% per share value during '08-'09. It actually had excellent dividend payouts/reinvest value during that period as well.
For me, and eventually her, drawing SS as early as possible was the best choice.
You, imho, really need to look at your "break even" age in relation to your SSI benefits.
Generally (if you haven't calculated it) the "break even" age will be around 14 years from your earliest available date. Whether, in my case, if I started drawing at 63, vs 67, when I turn 78 the total dollar amount received would be exactly the same. Living beyond 78 is when the later draw (67) would become beneficial.
My father's still alive at 88, and active enough that he was in the garage working on his MG, when I called to wish him happy birthday last April. 😊 But, he also quit traveling as much in his late 70's, so his monetary needs have diminished with age. So, that might be something to consider as well, family history/life expectancy.
Plus, since I am still dumb enough to ride "crotch rockets", should something happen to me, my wife would still continue to receive my SS benefits.
And, as someone mentioned earlier, there is another "threat" to your/my potential SS benefits......."means testing". It's a phrase that's floated around in DC for a while. It's where they would assess your "retirement picture", and adjust how much of YOUR MONEY you are actually entitled to, based upon your other income (IRA, pension, etc.)
That may or may not come to fruition, but I wasn't interested in waiting to find out. My thoughts are, if "means testing" were to be implemented, it would likely not be retroactive. 🤞
Anyway, just a few of my thoughts on retirement in an uncertain time.
By the way, 72T is a way to withdraw money without penalty prior to 59 1/2, but it is a real PITA. You are only allowed to withdraw a specified monthly amount for 5 consecutive years. Any deviation from that amount, and you will have to pay (retroactively) the tax penalties for all money withdrawn prior to that date.

Racer57

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on February 03, 2021, 03:38:23 PM
Ok, so a little off topic, but since it's the general topic area...

I just retired a few months back (59-1/2) and am really nervous about an over inflated market holding the lions share of my 401k and IRAs. It seems shaky at best to keep printing money. I'm just curious as to other ways to hedge money while possibly keeping from paying income taxes on withdrawals. I wish there were a way to invest in farm ground under a tax shelter because I'd jump at that. Right now I'm very uneasy about what I feel is a grossly and artificially overinflated market. Most of us are into a rather expensive hobby here, so I figured it'd be a great group to get a discussion going with. Not trying to poke a political bear (please), so no implication intended. Anyone hedging against corrections, crashes and runaway inflation?

I live in Charleston. (EIU)  I farm and own farm ground. Recent years I've paid $12-18,000 per acre and will always continue to buy ground when location is right. The rate of return is better than conservative investments when properly managed.   As to capital gains, they WILL get worse. So either take a small beating now or a whooping soon. If I had a way to move my farm out of this shithole over taxed State I would be gone in a second. Keep one thing in mind, no matter how bad the Dow gets, it always comes back.