Main Menu

Buying from Canada or US. Help fellow Canadians! $2463 USD vs 4101 CDN

Started by Swamp Donkey, November 23, 2018, 08:13:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

I'm looking at buying a Hotchkis TVS for my car.  Right now on Black Friday deals over the weekend Hotchkis has it on sale for $2463 USD.  I found a Canadian site with free shipping for $4101 (before taxes) CDN, also a Black Friday deal.  With all you guys experience on ordering stuff from the States, what way would you go?  With exchange, S&H, duty, taxes, shipping, brokerage fees will I come in less than $4101 of our majestic Loonie?

Thanks.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

RUNCHARGER

I retail parts all the time. $2463 = $3571CDN right now. I hope this helps. I hate Hotchkiss, I sold a customer a Hotchkiss A-body setup around 2 months ago, they said 3 to 4 weeks. I called about a month ago and they told me they were just waiting to get the sway bar back from powdercoating. Now they don't even answer emails or calls. So is my customer supposed to believe me? Same B.S. when I ordered subframe connectors for my buddies Cuda a few years ago. Nice parts, prepare to wait with lousy excuses. I won't sell any Hotchkiss stuff to customers again.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

well the exchange rate makes that 4100 equal to about 3115   So the difference is about $650....I doubt shipping is gonna be that much but you are further into the GWN that I've ever shipped so......   Plus what ever customs nails ya for.....

The better option might be to have it shipped to someone close to the border & drive down & pick it up.... Assuming you have any other reason to make that trip.... Or know someone who is....

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Where you live shipping is going to cost so if you are going to do it I would say the Canadian deal is probably worth it. Also be aware that Wa. state is charging us 10% sales tax now and we can't seem to get out of it, so if you order direct and have it shipped to a Wa. state address (Sumas for example) you can tack on another US$250 if you plan on run down to Sumas and pick it up yourself.
Sheldon

jimynick

Right now, $2463us equals $3259cnd and if you guys get dinged like we do for 13% HST of $423.67, that leaves $418 difference and then you need to calculate the shipping. My US mailbox in N.Falls NY will ship a parcel to Toronto for $15us and I don't know if that includes any brokers fee. There should be no duties as they're car parts. Why not figure out the shipping and then you'll know what you can buy it out of the US for, all up and then go to your local guy and say "hey, can we make a deal here?" Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Swamp Donkey

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 23, 2018, 09:06:20 PM
I retail parts all the time. $2463 = $3571CDN right now. I hope this helps. I hate Hotchkiss, I sold a customer a Hotchkiss A-body setup around 2 months ago, they said 3 to 4 weeks. I called about a month ago and they told me they were just waiting to get the sway bar back from powdercoating. Now they don't even answer emails or calls. So is my customer supposed to believe me? Same B.S. when I ordered subframe connectors for my buddies Cuda a few years ago. Nice parts, prepare to wait with lousy excuses. I won't sell any Hotchkiss stuff to customers again.

Just wondering what kind e-body business you have.  I'm finally starting to order parts for my car and am exploring all options. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

RUNCHARGER

I am temporarily working at a Hot Rod shop in Chilliwack. We mostly do old Fords and muscle era Chevies. We get in some Mopar stuff though. We do pretty good on AMD parts and stuff like carpets and window felts etc. Not so much on hardcore, high level restoration parts. Were you dealing with the big shop on 200th in Langley? They are a pretty good outfit too.
Sheldon