Main Menu

FIRE UPDATE

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, May 10, 2020, 08:48:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

I got an update from my brother this morning - a leaking propane tank was NOT the source of the devastating fire at his house. Linseed Oil was the culprit. Oily rags in the garbage can / spontaneous combustion
I copied this off the net
When linseed oil combines with air, the oxygen molecules cause a chemical reaction that creates heat. According to the article, if the linseed oil is on
something flammable (like a rag you might use to clean your patio furniture), it can catch fire with no outside spark at as low as 120 degrees.

Who knew? Not me, not him or his wife either.

SgtSuperbird

The average person would be very surprised as to the array of oils, not just linseed oil, that self combusts. Wood stain is another dangerous product, when speaking of soiled rags. I ALWAYS air out contaminated rags and never wad them up. Google "Oils That Self Combust" for information and tips to disposal of soiled rags.

gzig5

That's why shops have those red cans with the spring loaded lids for dirty rags.  If thy do ignite, they starve for oxygen in the sealed steel can and it can't progress.   I don't have such a can but I've always laid out rags to dry when doing woodwork or gun stock finishing.  Sorry to see that happen, but glad they are OK.

JS29

The front wall of the garage looked like it was blown out!  :alan2cents: 

Plumcrazy72

I've responded to numerous dumpster fires caused by oily rags over the years. Sorry to hear about your brother's house, glad they were both able to make it out
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

Shoooter

I just found out about this a few weeks ago when I was using boiled linseed oil and paint thinner to restore old plastic on a quad. Glad I Googled it before I did it.

dodj

Quote from: gzig5 on May 10, 2020, 09:47:30 AM
I've always laid out rags to dry when doing woodwork or gun stock finishing.
I just finished a stock and have some rags wadded up in the garbage right now.  :o
Think I'll go lay them out to dry.
Might not be about cars but I learn something here every day.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

It's funny how some things stay with you. I remember the woodwork teacher expounding on the rags in grade 11 and why to put them in a metal container and close the lid. It's just something I always remembered for some reason.
Sheldon

anlauto

When I used to work in the automotive stamping industry we used "Hi-Lite" oil to rub the panels down...I never really knew what type of oil it was ....but the safety guys in that department would freak out if the used rags were not in the fire safe bins at all times....like you would get written up...if you left damp rags laying around....they must have known something we didn't....I would have been glad to burn that sorry ass place down  :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopar5

Just my two cents, When I use rags with oils like wood stain even some wood polish or oxidizing oils. I keep them outside in a safe place saturated with water before disposal. I witnessed the danger of these rags firsthand when I was staining my fence and wiping of the excess stain,when the rags got saturated  I hung  them  over the fence to dry out. Then I noticed some were smoldering and smoking on their own in the sun and turning black with char. Very dangerous