Main Menu

First drive for the Charger

Started by blown motor, April 25, 2019, 05:14:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I took the Charger out for the first time this evening. Just about 10 or 12 miles. It bogs when you punch it, stalled a couple times. No bog if you punch it while idling in park.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Must be that black stripe....change it to red see what happens  :alan2cents: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Sounds like it needs some carb tuning.  Fresh gas right? Shell premium prefered.....( no ethanol )

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on April 25, 2019, 05:26:01 PM
Must be that black stripe....change it to red see what happens  :alan2cents: :haha:

:iagree:   :rofl:

Quote from: Brads70 on April 25, 2019, 05:28:38 PM
Sounds like it needs some carb tuning.  Fresh gas right? Shell premium prefered.....( no ethanol )

Ya, I'm sure it just needs some tuning. I don't have plates on it yet so can't do much right now. Can't even take it to town for gas.

Chryco Psycho

Hmm Eddy Carb Huh  :thinking:

Sounds right  :bigthumb:

700 AKN

Great evening for a drive.  Overcast sky's and light drizzle. :crying:   I just picked up my car today from Dutton and drove it for the 1st time since the engine rebuild.   Dave Wheeler did a great job tuning the carbs and I no longer have to drive with 2 feet.   If your looking for a place to help with a tune-up then I'm sure Dave could have it running smooth as silk.   If not I'm sure Neil could help direct you in the right direction.    Your pretty handy with fixing things on your own so just ignore what I just said, unless you really need the help or advice.  Hope you get her running well before summer.
:D

blown motor

Thanks for the tip Ray. I can fix a lot of things but one thing I'm not good at is carb tuning.

Chryco Psycho

I will be there in a bit , typically you cannot get enough accelerator pump shot with eddy carbs , they only have 3 sizes of squirter & large is often too small which is where # drill sets come in , or buy a real carb

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 26, 2019, 05:49:21 AM
I will be there in a bit , typically you cannot get enough accelerator pump shot with eddy carbs , they only have 3 sizes of squirter & large is often too small which is where # drill sets come in , or buy a real carb
C`mon Neil, try to be nice to the old farmer, will ya?  ;) You know that Carters can be made to run and the factory did it every day!
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

I'm still waiting for a ride  darn it! I think Murray said to be like a farmer.... you know out standing in your field?   Still waiting?

:P

blown motor

@Brads70 I don't have it on the road yet. I'm waiting for my vanity plates to come in. I'll let you know, then you can come and get your door panels and ... oh never mind. Just come and get them and we'll run the back roads without plates.  :haha:

303 Mopar

Chryco Psycho

Carters were a different carb & the factory used very unique cams & the carbs were tuned to match , eddys are tuned to nothing just off the shelf generic 1 size fits all .
Firstly there are 3 types of Carter carb , The AVS , AFB & Thermoquad
The AFB uses a weighted secondary door , not tunable unless you drill holes in the weights , this was almost never used on factory Mopars , the Hemi was the only engine using these probably to limit the max potential of the engine for street use .
The AVS uses a spring loaded tunable secondary air door , these were what Moper used mostly , Eddy sells these as Thunder series .
Eddy is not reproducing the TQ at all & it would flow 800-1000 cfm
Next how many different S series AVS carbs were used ?? they were tuned differently for Auto or 4 spd on the same car & used for years on almost every engine , what does Eddy offer 1406 or 1411 probably tuned to a Chev engine for the AFB & a couple of choices for the AVS [Thunder series]
There is no comparison between factory tuned Carters & what is available today !!
Kinda like going to buy a pair of jeans & they have 2 sizes that are supposed fit eveyone  :Thud:

JS29

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 28, 2019, 05:47:51 AM
Carters were a different carb & the factory used very unique cams & the carbs were tuned to match , eddys are tuned to nothing just off the shelf generic 1 size fits all
:haha: :rofl: Quick fuel 750 on my 383, love it.

Chryco Psycho

Proform or QF & some tuning & you have a different engine .
I have tried everything with the Eddys , without success , from pinching air bleed tubes smaller & drilling squirters , drilling counter weights as they are always too heavy , yes you can improve them but bolt on a Proform & immediatly the engine runs better  :alan2cents: