Main Menu

Tremec TKX. Anybody actually drive a car with one?

Started by ledphoot, October 14, 2021, 03:00:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

So I am driving the Cuda today.. 1st and 3rd gear seem a bit notchy, especially when aggressively motivating the vehicle ;) I also have the wide ratio version which seems a bit low for my motor / cam. I am considering selling my TKO and picking up one of the TKX's since they supposedly address the shifter feel at throttle.. Anybody actually drive a car with one of these transmissions? Care to share some feedback?

BluRaySRT

Daveh

I remember there was a company a few years ago making the necessary modifications to the TKO's so you could bang gears.  It wasn't that expensive and they got it back to people in about 3 weeks.  I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the company.  Maybe someone here does?

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: Daveh on October 28, 2021, 08:18:18 AM
I remember there was a company a few years ago making the necessary modifications to the TKO's so you could bang gears.  It wasn't that expensive and they got it back to people in about 3 weeks.  I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the company.  Maybe someone here does?

Liberty? 

Was it faceplating?   Supposedly the service they did would allow you to aggressively upshift on acceleration, but made it very difficult or noisy when trying to downshift like in normal street driving. 

The TKO was always very notchy and hard to shift, even when the bell was properly indexed to the crank.   I had one in a 98 Dakota with a big block and if I tried shifting above 3500 rpm it was like slamming the shifter into a wall.   Casual driving was smooth as butter.   

Definitely looking to hear feedback on how the TKX drives

ledphoot

Modern Driveline States this on their TKO sales page:

Several aftermarket upgrades are available such as carbon fiber synchro rings, shifter rods, polished gears to reduce friction and Cryogenic treat of the gear for added torque capacity

ledphoot

I reached out to Liberty to see what their "solution" costs and what the turnaround times are. It's easy enough to pull the TKO out and stab it back in. Hopefully shipping the trans and the upgrades isn't too ridiculous.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: HP2 on October 28, 2021, 12:10:30 PM
Entire thread on the install going on over here:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/fshtail-tremec-tkx-5-speed-manual-transmission-e-body-kit/22903/

The OP of this thread is active in that thread.  However, the OP here is asking if anyone has driven the TKX yet to understand how the shifts feel.   The Fshtail TKX install has yet to provide an update on how it drivers, presumably, because he has not driven it yet.

ledphoot

I am trying to decide if I should buy a TKX, swap it and sell my TKO or spend some money to upgrade the TKO.

chaps70rt

Just curious if anyone has added an overdrive to the driveshaft??   I met a Challenger owner who did this many years ago and said it was
fool proof.   Operates on a switch to engage the overdrive.     Have no knowledge on how easy this is or how effective it is.  Seems like a much less
invasive way to go and could be converted back for the purists out there. 

Was hoping someone on this site has some experience and thoughts on whether it was worth doing??   Perhaps change the rear defog switch to
an overdrive switch??   At least that was my thoughts on the way to go.    With 3.55 gears and a 4-speed my engine is revving pretty high by the
time I get up to 60 mph.   Always looking for 5th ...... LOL. 
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

chaps70rt

This is the unit I was curious about from Gear Vendors.   This is the article I found on the same.....

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/gear-vendors-overdrive-mileage-drivability-performance-review/

I think many of us would benefit from a review of the same if they have installed successfully and would share their experiences.

Thoughts??
70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

chaps70rt

Will start a new Topic ..... sorry for jumping on this thread.
70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi