Main Menu

First haul, any car trailering advice?

Started by JH27N0B, September 08, 2022, 04:59:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I might have posted a few months back when I retrieved the trailer I bought from an estate of an area E body enthusiast.  :andyangel:
I towed it about 25 miles to storage.  A friend later came out and went over it with me.  The brakes work. Lights work.
3 of the 4 tires were old, so I got 3 new tires, one of which I bought pre mounted on a new wheel and kept the best tire of the 3 I replaced as a spare. He showed me how the spring and chain parts install for the weight distribution.
So I'm ready to hook it up and go.  But nervous about loading and tying down the car by myself.
My only trailer experience so far is with having others move my cars for me.  2 times I ended up with damage and another time a close call when the ramp broke as he was driving my car up it to load.  3' further up the ramp I'd have had a smashed front valence maybe more!  :stop:
So I'm nervous. Any tips on loading, unloading and tying down appreciated!
Moparty or bust?

FF376

Just take plenty of time. Looks like a decent trailer so probably no ramp issues. Side door helps out a lot too. I use four straps that I bought from the trailer dealer that have integrated axle straps to wrap the control arms and rear end housing. Highly recommend them or the standard straps.

JH27N0B

One good thing is that the trailer came fully equipped. There is a set of straps included and they look good.  I will probably do some research and buy a fresh set next year, but use the included straps for my inaugural haul.
The times I had someone haul my cars for me, the trailer had no left side access door. It was a bear getting in and out of my car! Does that side door help much? I'm not sure the car door will open over the inner fender so other than some fresh air, does it make it easier to get out?
The hitch includes a sway control bar too. Is that worth using on a 24' pulled by my 3/4 ton truck?
I've seen them on others rigs and they make a lot of racket when maneuvering.

whitsend

My advice... don't use a two inch ball on a 2 5/16 hitch. Ask me why.  :crying:

Mr Cuda

As mentioned,  strap the suspension down,  not the body.  Best method is actually the tire saddle straps which require a track on the floor.
If possible,  measure tongue weight  and get the car forward enough to have the right spec.
The tail will wag if not enough.

blown motor

If you have the sway bar use it. I rented a trailer once and hauled my Challenger to Florida for some winter driving. I didn't have a sway bar. When a transport would pass me it would make the trailer sway. If I wasn't watching my mirror I knew a truck was coming up because I felt it in the trailer.
On your first load, after your front wheels are on the trailer look underneath the car and make sure nothing is going to rub at the point where the ramp connects. When I bought the Charger one of the exhaust clamps was put on with the bolts up and down and they scraped the top of the ramp. If the  clamp was rotated even an eighth of a turn it would have been fine.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

blown motor

Quote from: Mr Cuda on September 08, 2022, 05:54:33 PM
As mentioned,  strap the suspension down,  not the body.  Best method is actually the tire saddle straps which require a track on the floor.
If possible,  measure tongue weight  and get the car forward enough to have the right spec.

Yes!! Make sure you have tongue weight. I had brain fart once years ago with a trailer and it was loaded a bit back heavy. Once I hit a certain speed that sucker started swaying and was taking the truck with it because it made the truck light on the back end. It was a scary moment.

JH27N0B

One good thing about the trailer being owned previously by an e body guy, is that I can see marks in the wood floor where his rear tires sat.  I can use that as a gage where my tires should be, as he would have parked his car balanced properly. He usually hauled his hemi cuda, but the slight difference in WB from my Challengers shouldn't make a difference. He owned the trailer about 25 years and went to 2-3 shows a year.
He also had some aluminum stops up front, they aren't screwed down though but I'll play with them.
The ladder appearing parts that get installed in the floors for tire straps, I forget what that's called.
Can one install those themselves or is that something a trailer shop has to install?  I might look into those next year.
There's a winch there too, I'll need to figure that out.  Since he's gone I can't ask for a demonstration!

blown motor

Once you get the right spot you could hang a tennis ball from the ceiling that will hit your windshield.

Blowout

A tow truck driver gave me this advice once. If using straps, make sure when you're tightening them down that the loose end wraps around itself a time or two. This will make sure your strap won't come loose. Also, if I make a pit stop, I always check the tightness of the straps and see if any need more tightening. And other drivers don't care your pulling a trailer, so give yourself space and accommodate for their bad driving.

JonH

If it has a winch use it. No worries about getting out of the car. Easy to load slowly by yourself and make sure everything clears....

torredcuda

If you don`t measure tongue weight bring it up to speed slowly and gently swerve the truck side to side to check for sway, if needed move car forward a bit - you don`t want to find out it`s not loaded correctly the first time you need to swerve at 70 mph in traffic. Once you find the sweet spot mark it for future trips.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

torredcuda

I also make sure it`s in gear (four speed) and parking brake is set. Take a minute to check straps at fuel/rest stops.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

Quote from: Mr Cuda on September 08, 2022, 05:54:33 PM
This can't be stressed enough. Aim for 10-15% of total loaded weight.
A few years ago I came up behind a guy who loaded a trailer with cement blocks. All of a sudden the trailer started flailing back and forth at 60mph. The blocks went all over three lanes of traffic. You don't want to do that with your car.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

cuda hunter

Cross your straps at the rear axle.  Under the brake lines if possible.
Make sure the hooks on the ratchet straps are pointing down if they have non closeable hooks.
Cross the front also when possible.  I put an extra tie in the middle both front and rear, straight
That way it can't move forward or back either. 
I'm paranoid and would rather spend 5 minutes on 2 straps than have any problems. 
I also advise buying really nice straps.  I purchased all new gear last year at carlisle and was really impressed with the products that I purchased from the strap vendor there.  My new straps make a world of difference.
  I put a hole in my barracuda on the way to carlisle 2021.  Avoided a large wreck, but tweeked the cuda sideways 2" and put a strap hook up against the gas tank.  Lesson learned.  More straps, better straps.  Would have been just fine with the exception of braking and almost going sideways avoiding the uhaul with a blown tire and cars going everywhere.  Ya never know what's gonna happen on the hiway. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee