Main Menu

First time traveling to the USA. San Francisco

Started by Swamp Donkey, May 13, 2019, 08:19:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

I'm only going for a weekend, to San Francisco.  My wife is going for work to a Maker Faire and I'm just tagging along.  So we will have mostly evenings to see or do something. I will probably check out the Maker Faire event for one day, but the other day I will probably just spend the day by myself checking stuff out.  Although the weather looks like crap when I will be there.  Leaving nicer weather way way way up here in Northern BC.  Should be arriving in San Francisco Friday afternoon and leaving Monday morning.

Two questions. 

Best mode of travel?  Uber or Lyfr? Public transit?  Bicycle/scooter? 

Next question.  What would you do by yourself in San Francisco for a day???
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

70 Challenger Lover

Went there once many years ago and it was nasty beyond compare. We drove over the bridge to a place called Sausalito (I think) that was really nice. I seem to recall there is a 17 mile drive through some sort of park that was also very pretty but that doesn't take long.

js27

Be Careful where you step--San Francisco allows humans to poop on the streets.
NOT KIDDING,
JS27

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: js27 on May 13, 2019, 09:10:50 AM
Be Careful where you step--San Francisco allows humans to poop on the streets.
NOT KIDDING,
JS27

It's unbelievable what has happened in SF... There was a time when we enjoyed a day in the city... No more, not a chance...

cuda hunter

I'm going to San Francisco for the first time later this year.  All I get from people is that it is a very dirty town.  Dirtiest in the nation apparently. 

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do there as well.   :popcorn:  aside from watch my step.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

B5fourspeed

Rent a car and go to Monterey.The 17 mile drive down there will take you thru Pebble Beach.The only time I go to SF is to see a Giants game.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Swamp Donkey

LOL. Sounds rough.  I guess I have been warned.  I will pack my galoshes for the rain and poop! Nothing is  going to stop me from having a good time!
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

kawahonda

San Fran isn't as nasty as everyone says. There's nasty parts in every large city.

Things you should do:

1) Ride the trolley and Lyft it to get around.
2) Visit Fisherman's Wharf.
3) Obviously go to Lombard St. Famous place.
4) Agreed about Sausalito, sort of a little coastal town right across the bridge, and I feel like it's a bicycle town. Great scenery and seafood.  It's pretty cool, plus it gets you across the golden gate bridge so you can say that you did that. If you have even more time, you're next to the redwood forests. I'm a huge fan of Point Reyes which is a little further up north. Good to go there and stay a night if you have more than 1 day though.
5) There are some cool parks there. Don't remember them off the top of my head, but you'll be passing them by/will see them.
6) Chinatown is pretty cool if you like fresh food.
7) If you're a shopper-type person, absolutely to Union Square. They have some pretty state of the art stores there. The bums know this is where people with money go, so just be prepared to say "no" quite a few times in this area. LOL
8) The food is absolutely good. Make sure to have Yelp installed on your phone and just walk around try out some places.

The only sketchy part is walking around after dark in some areas.  Lots of homeless people.

I walked around to lots of areas with a small group after dark and felt fine--none of us felt unsafe. If you're getting a weird vibe in one block, just go around.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda_mark

Alcatraz maybe...I've been to SF 4 times and never done it but some people say its a cool tour.

If you had more time I would say Napa Valley. Its really nice, especially if you like wine.

Louis near the Cliff House. Cool place for breakfast with nice views (as long as the marine layer isn't too thick). The food is just average though. http://louissf.com/index.html/?index.html

cuda hunter

One thing I know we are doing is going to the winchester mystery mansion.  Being a builder, the architecture there should be very enjoyable and different.   

Thanks for the comments.  Even though I am not the original poster I"m definitely using your suggestions. 

I'm going there for the Metallica S and M 20 year anniversary show.  the fan show.  Will be a blast for sure.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70Barracuda

Book one of the tours of the city.  The boy and I did it a few years back, learned a lot.  They take you around in an open bus/truck thing.  Didnt take too long.  Caught it around the pier. 
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: cuda hunter on May 13, 2019, 11:36:47 AM
One thing I know we are doing is going to the winchester mystery mansion.  Being a builder, the architecture there should be very enjoyable and different.   

Thanks for the comments.  Even though I am not the original poster I"m definitely using your suggestions. 

I'm going there for the Metallica S and M 20 year anniversary show.  the fan show.  Will be a blast for sure.

We did see the Winchester house and it was cool. I'm a gun guy so I appreciate seeing so many cowboy rifles on display. The house architecture is fascinating too of course.

And the mention of the redwoods and Monterey also brings good memories. I'd say if you stay outside the city limits, you should have a great time.

1 Wild R/T

Yup, anywhere from Half Moon Bay to Big Sur is great SF, yeah there are places worth seeing but the city has really gotten ugly these last few years.... Between the streets being used as toilets & the used syringes discarded on the streets...  I have friends that work there regularly, it wasn't that bad five years ago....

Go North or go South.... :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

I went there 25 years ago and swore to myself I'd never return. I shudder to think what it's become since then.