Main Menu

Giving Mopar enthusiasts a bad name

Started by Poolshark314, February 16, 2021, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Poolshark314

As a Mopar fan, a newer Charger owner, and a millennial, pretty disappointing to see crap like this giving good Mopar people a bad name  :verymad:

https://autos.yahoo.com/street-takeover-infestation-spreads-charlotte-170000916.html
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Chryco Psycho

I guess with all of the local race tracks being shut down around the country they figure racing & cars will just go away ... Not

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 16, 2021, 06:32:34 PM
I guess with all of the local race tracks being shut down around the country they figure racing & cars will just go away ... Not

Yup.... Keep taking away places to play & your gonna get some folks pushing back.... 

Poolshark314

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 16, 2021, 06:32:34 PM

The problem is these people aren't really interested in legally racing anyway. They are just doing donuts in the middle of intersections and causing accidents. The "takeover" mentality is really stupid imo
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

BFM_Cuda

"They shut down the highway to do burnouts.."

Me in my truck:   :)

floorit426

Have you seen any Dodge commercials, in the last five years? Their marketing condones this type of behavior.

challengermaniac

Funny how they recommend witnesses write down the license plate numbers.  Wouldn't they be better server with a video or would they just have to ticket you for having the phone in your hand while driving!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

CudaMoparRay

Not condoning dangerous behavior BUT if you have a high performance car and no legal place to use it this will be the outcome all the time.
You can't have your cake and eat too applies here in a sad way............ :burnout:

torredcuda

A couple open drag racing tracks in the area and Dodge commercials are obviuosly done on closed roads with pro drivers - niether of those excuses work for that behavior.  :thumbdown:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Wedg2Go

Any brand of rides and the drivers, young and old, will always have some sort of speed or exhibition of speed contest regardless. Think about it. Name one decade, since the fifties, where drivers didn't gathered and did some sort of pedal to the metal contest? There isn't one and all of it has been done with go carts to track cars.

Is it smart?

No!

However, the difference is the obvious...Location!

Back in my "Cruisin Days," "Midnights" was always done at 1:00 am on a stretch of semi-used road outside the city limits. We never bothered anyone and always thoughtful to pull to the shoulder of the road when we saw headlights approaching so they could pass (Unless it was the Sheriff's car. Then it was every person for themselves.  :unbelievable:).

This, per article? This is absolute b.s. and insanity mixed together. The interstate? There is "No Excuse" for this action! None!   

HP2

Given the lack of brand loyalty these days, I wouldn't say this gives Mopar guys a bad name. Its just the nature of things that happen.

Funny story from a few weeks ago...around 9pm on a Saturday night I let my dogs out one last time for the evening and notice my back porch smells like the burn-out box at a drag strip. Finding this curious I stand there for a bit pondering the source when I hear a faint sound of revving engines. I listen a bit longer and hear it intermittently for several minutes. Decide to jump in my truck and head over towards a nearby shopping center.  When I arrive, it has several hundred cars circling a large portion of the parking lot. Inside the circle are 4 cars drifting a course among the light poles. An opening at two ends of the circle allows cars to enter and exit  but never saw more than 4-5 cars at a time.  Cars would fire up, enter, run for a bit, then exit and someone else would come in.  Watched for a short while before leaving. Given the amount of smoke and noise, I'm sure the cops would be there before long and everyone would scatter. Given social media, I'm sure these guys do this regularly and just pop up in a parking lot any where in town any given night before the drive off in the smoky haze before the cops or fire department shows up.

JS29

Let us not forget street outlaws! The show that glorifies it, even though it is staged.  :Stirring:

RUNCHARGER

Yeah, these guys should be strung up. Of course it was okay to street race and spin donuts when I was young though. Mind you when I did that stuff we did it when the roads were deserted, have to admit it was still wrong though. I also agree that it is in the interest of public safety not to shut down race tracks just because developers need another few million in their pocket or neighbors that just moved in don't like the noise on a Sunday afternoon.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Human were racing each other since the stone age like who gets away faster from the lion chasing after them. Later evolved to horses, wagons, mechanized vehicles, planes. Never understand the donut thing in the middle of intersection or doing drifting on crowded streets.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket