Main Menu

What classic car would you buy to just drive

Started by blown motor, August 14, 2020, 07:50:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70/6chall

I drove my '70 Challenger from 1972-2005 as a daily driver to and from work and down to the market and K-Mart. Putting a half million miles on it before retiring it. It helped that it was a Slant6 Challenger (still is). So, a really cool E-body with a gas sipper under the hood. In that period of its life of daily thrashing and abuse not once was it involved in any type of traffic altercation. So all the assy. line sheet metal is still in place. I'm proud that I can claim this. Would I do this again not with the price of putting one back together again, once is enough.     Al

SgtSuperbird

A '66 Coronet 440, small block or, an F body Volare RR.

torredcuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on August 14, 2020, 08:16:06 PM
A Magnum or Córdoba.

Buddy had a `78 Magnum, former Chrysler exec car he bought in `79,  318 loaded with options, ice cold a/c, was a nice cruiser. I got it off him years later as payment for some money he borrowed but it was just a crappy beater by then, always liked them though.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

1963 Impala maybe?  :dunno:

Not gonna get any classic Mopars for 10k so gotta think outside the box....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GrandpaKevin

87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

Has to be a 5 speed.

Had a few back in the day.
Nice interiors.
Not the fastest thing on the road but fun to drive, they rode and handled great.

2nd pick would be a loaded 70-81 or 98-02 stick shift Trans Am.

RUNCHARGER

There are a few clean Cordobas around in the $3k-$5k range including one with a 400 I was thinking about for a driver. They were a pretty well styled car for the era and certainly had acceptible interiors.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on August 15, 2020, 04:37:09 PM

Has to be a 5 speed.

Nice interiors.
Not the fastest thing on the road but fun to drive, they rode and handled great.

I had a '90 Tbird SC 5 speed that I bought in the early 90s with a bit over 20,000 miles, drove for around 10 years and sold with almost 200,000 miles.  Fit me like a glove, tons of low end torque with the supercharger, and even got decent mileage.  I loved just about everything about that car, except it was a bear to work on.
I'd be wary of buying one now just due to maintenance.
Getting back to Cordobas and Magnums, my dream one would have T tops and I would either update the engine with EFI or transplant a later engine in it for better performance and mpg.  Then I'd have an unusual car I could do long hauls in to events far away and travel in comfort!

Brads70

68-75 C-body  sedan or wagon, Always liked those cars!

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: JH27N0B on August 15, 2020, 06:11:03 PM
Quote from: GrandpaKevin on August 15, 2020, 04:37:09 PM

Has to be a 5 speed.

Nice interiors.

I had a '90 Tbird SC 5 speed that I bought in the early 90s with a bit over 20,000 miles, drove for around 10 years and sold with almost 200,000 miles.  Fit me like a glove, tons of low end torque with the supercharger, and even got decent mileage.  I loved just about everything about that car, except it was a bear to work on.
I'd be wary of buying one now just due to maintenance.
Getting back to Cordobas and Magnums, my dream one would have T tops and I would either update the engine with EFI or transplant a later engine in it for better performance and mpg.  Then I'd have an unusual car I could do long hauls in to events far away and travel in comfort!

I bought my wife a beautiful 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe back in 1995.
She previously drove a 88 GT Mustang 5 speed.
The Bird rode like a dream with it's independent rear suspension compared to the Mustang.
We did a number of road trips with the Bird and it ran flawlessly.
We sold it when we had our second child to get a Grand Caravan :-[
I would buy a nice low mile SC as a daily driver, the wife would probably steal it.

Guscuda

X3 on the thunderbird sc, my wife had a red 93 5-speed that was a sweet car! Not much in the snow though, that I was the reason she got rid of it.

Cudajason

I have a thing for Corvairs...66 ish

You can buy one for under 10 grand and they would be a ton of fun.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

ToxicWolf

1968 Caprice ... That was my first car. I really liked the six way power front bench seat.  :banana: