Main Menu

Shop dust, how to stop it?

Started by Shoooter, February 08, 2020, 04:00:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

My shop always seems to be dusty. I have a dust collector that hangs from the roof but I would have to run it all the time to stop my problem. I have heard that painting ththe concrete floor helps with the dust? Mine was sealed at one point but I imagine most of it has worn off? My friend has his painted and it doesnt seem to be as dusty as mine. Keep in mine I have sxs and a few other toys that come in and out. What does everyone else do?

Racer57

Quote from: Shoooter on February 08, 2020, 04:00:00 PM
My shop always seems to be dusty. I have a dust collector that hangs from the roof but I would have to run it all the time to stop my problem. I have heard that painting ththe concrete floor helps with the dust? Mine was sealed at one point but I imagine most of it has worn off? My friend has his painted and it doesnt seem to be as dusty as mine. Keep in mine I have sxs and a few other toys that come in and out. What does everyone else do?
If you have a SxS and other stuff going in and out, there's nothing you can do. I've yet to find any concrete paint that holds up to scuffing and/or has places that it don't peel away if every square inch isn't properly prepped. If the problem is with dust on a car etc, just buy a cover. :D 

GoodysGotaCuda

Bare concrete will be much more dusty than coated or sealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

With your car being black ( I think?) that sure will show the slightest bit of dust.  LOL Your fighting a loosing battle on that front. Like Racer75 said , a cover might be a compromising solution for you.
In years gone by in places I had worked they had this green ground up substance that you spread on the concrete floors that attracted the dust/ kept the dust down as you swept it up?  Smelled great too. 
Also I've seen those plastic car bubbles that you park it in and it has a fan keeping it inflated. Maybe that would help with the dust? .....  :thinking:  or maybe make it worse?  :haha:

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on February 09, 2020, 09:01:28 AM
In years gone by in places I had worked they had this green ground up substance that you spread on the concrete floors that attracted the dust

We use that stuff at work. Trade name is Dustbane.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

I think coating the floor would certainly help  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

I put down Race Deck flooring under my lift because I only park the cars on that side. The other side I work on so every now and then I'll just hose the floor down.

Shoooter

The side by side and stuff come out a few times a year, not weekly and there always washed off before they come back in.  I certainly think painting the floor will help. I'll let you know in about 5 months when its warm enough haha