Main Menu

Hints on finding your car's original dealership

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 26, 2019, 08:07:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Probably futile, but here goes. My 70 RT is more than likely from a dealership within 50 miles or so of Cleveland Ohio. I have (thanks to Barry Washington) some telltale documentation back to '76. Those documents are from an owner registering it with the "Special Interest Auto Club". The owners name shows up (with the same wife) in an online directory (minus phone number) still in the area. I sent them a snail mail and got no reply. Is it possible to locate a car's original dealership from just these hints?  The guy I bought it from last year said it had always been in the Cleveland area. Thoughts? Hints? Help?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

1 Wild R/T

SIAC was nationwide... I was a member & registered my car... And years later got that info back from Barry...

7E-Bodies

But the SIAC documents from 76 show it near Cleveland even then. I wish I could find another decal. This windshield has some scratches and may need replaced.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 26, 2019, 08:22:13 PM
But the SIAC documents from 76 show it near Cleveland even then. I wish I could find another decal. This windshield has some scratches and may need replaced.

Might try contacting a few old members & see if they would part with one they may have floating around....
And if you do come up with one it would be cool to get it scanned so it could be reproduced...

7E-Bodies

I would gladly get them reproduced as long as it didn't violate any copyrights.

61K T/A

I have every issue of the  AAR and decals. LMK if your interested

anlauto

1970 to 1976 is a big time period for a car to move around. It could have been sold new on the other side of the country :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@61K T/A I'd be interested in one of the decals as I'm probably going to have to replace the original windshield. It has scratches from old wiper negligence somewhere in its past. Family owns a vinyl printing and decal business and may be able to duplicate one without destroying a sample. Nothing I have to have, but it'd be cool to keep the car as I found it. My iPhone number is in my profile if you wish to text me about it. Thanks.

Kevin

7E-Bodies

@anlauto I can't disagree, it's just a shot. I do know Ohio DMV is way more helpful to people than this pitiful state of Illinois is. I plan to make some contacts there to see if they'd trace its history.

RUNCHARGER

I was in SIAC and have my old newsletters as well. Back then cars didn't move around as much as now. I never seen used cars on a transporter back then.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 27, 2019, 07:56:08 AM
I was in SIAC and have my old newsletters as well. Back then cars didn't move around as much as now. I never seen used cars on a transporter back then.

True, but people sure got around.... Especially guys in the military... In 73 when returning from Turkey we picked up Dad's new Chrysler in New Jersey, within a month it it was in Las Vegas & with 18 months it was in California... And probably 75% of the new cars on Nellis car from someplace other than Nevada....

anlauto

That's kinda what I was thinking...the owner moving around, taking the car with him.. also from early on, these cars were kinda of special too, so if you wanted one in the mid 70's I don't think it would be that unusual to buy one from another State if there were none in your area  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 27, 2019, 04:44:43 AM
Family owns a vinyl printing and decal business and may be able to duplicate one without destroying a sample.
Kevin

:idea:  Do you need to have an original in hand or could you reproduce something from a picture with measurements? What are the costs for something like this? I have no idea...?

6bblgt

I and another #s  :crazytalk: have been talking about being able to track "SOLD" cars to their original dealership or area (currently in VERY early stages)

one problem with Cleveland is probably 50 Dodge dealerships within that 50 miles, what city does the SAIC paperwork show & what date (owned since '76 doesn't imply owned at that address)

most "00" VONs appear to be from close to Detroit or the northeast states, and the Chrysler Lease Car (Y17) would probably point to a Chrysler vehicle auction early in the car's life

7E-Bodies

@6bblgt mine is definitely a Y17. Good point. It's VON is 002082. Here are the pics, front and back, of the two documents Barry had.