Main Menu

Hornet is BACK !

Started by anlauto, August 16, 2022, 04:26:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

I can't say I'm real excited? Marketing seems kinda corny?  ::)
At least they didn't butcher the Javelin name..... yet?

I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks over on the AMC site! I don't dare post this over there.... :))

340Challman

Quote from: Brads70 on August 16, 2022, 05:16:14 PM

I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks over on the AMC site! I don't dare post this over there.... :))

Yeah, I'm confused. the Hornet was never a Dodge.  :dunno:
Don't get it :huh:
Kevin

dodj

Quote from: 340Challman on August 16, 2022, 05:55:39 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on August 16, 2022, 05:16:14 PM

Yeah, I'm confused. the Hornet was never a Dodge.  :dunno:
Don't get it :huh:
The Hornet was an AMC....bought by Chrysler....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Yea, when they merged with AMC did they get the rights to all the names, or maybe the copyright expired ? Weird.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

340Challman

Yeah, they took a car that was never a Dodge, it wasn't even a desirable AMC, turned it into a crossover SUV with some crazy over the top promo. Come to think of it, it was kind of a crossover back then. Never really knew what to call it. Dodge is really grasping at straws with this one. It will undoubtedly sell like crazy.  :D
Kevin

anlauto

Certainly made it sound cool....I love their marking plan these days...we don't want to build cars people need, we want to build cars people want !!

Bullitt-

:looney:     I can see it now.....the All Electric model   
                          PAC/DCER
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

PLY474

A similar story.  Volkswagon bought Navistar International and acquired the rights to International Scout with it.  Volkswagon formed a new Scout brand that will be all electric.  The CEO was here in town for the International Harvester Homecoming car show at the old plant and announced the plans.  I like Scouts.  I think they would have been a better fit with Chrysler / Stellantis and V8 power.  Only time will tell how these cars work out.  https://www.journalgazette.net/local/new-scouts-coming-visiting-exec-says-at-harvester-homecoming/article_3b73532e-15b7-11ed-88ed-dba4cb881a02.html

chargerdon

First,  the name...Hornet... I like it and its a logical NEXT from Super Bee..

Second, they lie !!!    This is not all new vehicle its actually an Alpha Romeo made in Italy and caring the Dodge nameplate..  that isnt all bad...but..its what it is.

Third, wrong timing.    Everyone else is going to BEV not bringing out a new ICE car !!!
$
Third, Its going to fail !!!   People who want performance and good looks are still going to want the current Challenger and the next 2024 replacement Challenger/Cuda/Charger or whatever the next EV is.   People who want a compact SUV want one because in general they are less expensive than the larger SUV like Palisades and Teluride.   SO an SUV that is less expensive and gets great fuel economy like a RAV4 or CRV is what they want with pricing starting at $22,500 for a Corolla Cross, or a Rav4 at $26, not a $31,000 Alpha.   I give it one to two years while finishing a distant 5th or 6th in sales in that category, before its own competition kill it off.    Its at best an interim vehicle until the 2024 and 2025 truely all new arrive.   

But thats just my opinion. 

Burdar

I like it a lot.  They can call it what ever they want to call it.  The Hornet name seems fitting.(small "engine" but really packs a punch)  It's good looking too.  A lot of crossovers have weird/ugly styling.  Even the base GT is attractive with the upgraded wheels.  I can see my wife and I looking at one when her Cherokee needs replacing. 

Years ago they came out with a Dart GLH concept.  It was just a sticker package added to a stock Dart but it created a lot of excitement.  Rumor was that a lot of Dodge designers were asking to be a part of the GLH program.  Sadly the Dart didn't stick around long enough for it to actually happen.  I'm excited that they brought the name back.

anlauto

:iagree: I agree with Darren, it's not meant to replace the Challenger/Charger or even go after that buyer....if you watched the whole video....he said they are trying to tap into a market which they are not in....and they intend on making a much cooler car that younger people will want to buy...I like it...would love to see my son or daughter buy one...heck, even my wife...but she doesn't like any SUV type cars :dunno:

anlauto

Quote from: chargerdon on August 17, 2022, 06:32:55 AM

Second, they lie !!!    This is not all new vehicle its actually an Alpha Romeo made in Italy and caring the Dodge nameplate..  that isnt all bad...but..its what it is.

You're 100% correct, but Dodge certainly made it better looking  8)

Burdar

It's an all new vehicle for Dodge.

70vert

I'm OK with the Hornet name, since it is an "all new" Dodge. Better than Ford call that EV thing a Mustang!!!

and the performance & price are exactly what Dodge does, I think it will go over very well. Not a lot of people ready yet for a true EV so this hybrid will get some interest.