Main Menu

Need help Registering a Restomod in California

Started by SFEBODY, February 05, 2024, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SFEBODY

Ok fellow Mopar friends. I have a huge problem that I am sure some of you in California have experienced. I have a 70 Barracuda that I did a Restomod with. It was bought from a Texas owner and I am in CA. I finished it late last year, took it to the DMV to have it VIN verified. Have the VIN plate on dash, Fender tag, Core support partial VIN but no Federal sticker on teh drivers door. Because of the no federal sticker, they referred me to the CA Highway patrol to have an inspection. I went there and the officer said because I have a late model drive train, I now have to go to the BAR/ Bureau of Automotive repair to have a referee inspect it for SMOG and ODBII information. They tell me I have to have the drive train and exhaust exactly like the 2017 Charger that it came out of including the 2 Catalic convertors, the dash with the engine lights etc.... SO ? Who can help me get this across the finish line to be able to drive it... any help would be so appreciated.   Brian

71GranCoupe

If you have the door decal are you good to go? If so, spend the $50 or so and get a new door decal.

Looks like they have increased to $80.

Here is the link for you.

https://ecsauto.com/products/vin-data-decals

SFEBODY

I did get the door sticker, went back to DMV and because it was refered to CHP, they will not inspect it again

Skdmark

I'm in Wisconsin where they are a little easier on registration.

However, I did find this page on CA BAR site. At the bottom f the page there is a link od a 56 page resource guide that may be of help  -see appendix D pgs46-49.

https://asktheref.org/services/unusual-vehicles/

Good luck.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70_440-6Cuda

I think that information is incorrect - my understanding is 1975 and older requires NO smog check.  I would ask to see the CA law requiring a smog due to the engine swap - I was unable to find anything on the CA BAR other than 1975 and older are completely exempt.  I do know from my experience in the Shelby replica industry / replica car world that CA law is the car is registered based on the CHASSIS.  For example, a VW beetle re-bodied with a Porsche speedster body and a Subaru engine is STILL a VW and is titled/ smogged as such.  I think you are being jerked around....... keep us posted!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....