Main Menu

NIIICE !!!

Started by anlauto, February 26, 2022, 03:03:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gas is now $2.08 - $2.16 here in Victoria BC and thats for the low grade 87 gas. I haven't been to a Chevron station to check what 94 octane is going for
It's supposed to be going up again any day. Guess I won't be driving the Cuda much this summer!

Filthy Filbert

The fuel prices are outside of the President's control.  Oil is a global commodity that responds to the global market.   That said, There are policies and decisions that the president of the US or the prime minister of CA can make that would impact the global market.   Such as completion of a pipe line to improve the speed and lower the cost of logistics.   Allow for more drilling on publicly owned lands and off-shore rigs.   etc.

Russia is a huge exporter of oil, and everyone is in "boycott russia" mode right now, which certainly raises demand and cost of the remaining oil being pumped.  Also, the crazy rate of inflation we've been seeing from all the pandemic panic isn't helping.   I buy coffee at Costco.  3 lbs for $9 since we first became members there.   Within the last 9 months or so, that 3lb can is now up to $15 :bricks:

My wife texted me this morning, said the truck stop she drives past on her way to work (9 miles away from our house) had diesel at $5.13.   I stopped at the station next to me and topped off my tank at $4.79. 

worthywads

Quote from: chargerdon on February 27, 2022, 04:32:19 AM
Quote from: torredcuda on February 27, 2022, 04:12:37 AM
Not sure about Canada but the US buys oil from Russia when we used to be an exporter a few years ago.  :pullinghair:

LOL...its kinda crazy but...

2020, the United States exported about 8.50 MMb/d of petroleum to about 174 countries and 4 U.S. territories. Crude oil exports of about 3.21 MMb/d accounted for 38% of total U.S. gross petroleum exports in 2020. The resulting total net petroleum imports (imports minus exports) were about -0.63 MMb/d in 2020, which means that the United States was a net petroleum exporter of 0.63 MMb/d in 2020.

What i would love to understand, is if the Russian oil hasnt stopped yet, then why has the price of a barrel of oil gone up $6 to over $100 barrel.   Just WHERE IS THE EXTRA MONEY GOING ???   I read somewhere that a barrel of oil sold today, wont even reach the pumps for about 18 months !!

Don't get mad because you misunderstand how the oil industry works.

The rest of the story is that in 2020 the US also imported from Russia 8% of our continued imports of oil from outside countries.  Why?  The US oil industry isn't 1 company, every company decides what makes the most sense for it's refineries, and in this case many west coast refineries can get Russian oil for the best total price.

In 2021 again we were a net exporter, importing slightly less than was exported, no difference under a different president.  That will change for some US oil companies that traded with Russia up until the ban.

We did not start importing Russian oil this year, or pump less for US wells in the last 2 years.

n 2021, U.S. crude oil production equaled about 11.19 million barrels per day (b/d), crude oil imports equaled 6.11 million b/d, and crude oil exports equaled 2.98 million b/d, with net crude oil imports equaling 3.13 million b/d.

In 2021, U.S. total petroleum imports equaled about 8.47 million b/d and total petroleum exports were 8.63 million b/d, with net total petroleum exports equaling about 0.16 million b/d.

For ever bbl pump from our soil US oil companies exported .27 bbls of it, while buying and importing .55 bbl.  For Crude oil we were not net exporters.

Oil companies then refine this crude oil further and export more refined to ultimately net a total positive.

Nothing changed, just more Russian backed news sources that enrage the easily fooled.

torredcuda

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 02, 2022, 07:39:30 AM
FYI: HEARD IT'S GOING UP 11 CENTS(CAD) PER LITER TONIGHT IN ONTARIO!

Apparently this is because Canada stopped buying Russian oil.

What a difference worldwide from Venezuela to Hong Kong
https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

The US tying to replace Russain oil with Saudi, Iran and Venezuela, looking at the prices in those countries makes me wonder why it will be $5/gallon by the time it gets here.  :notsure:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 02, 2022, 07:39:30 AM
FYI: HEARD IT'S GOING UP 11 CENTS(CAD) PER LITER TONIGHT IN ONTARIO!

Apparently this is because Canada stopped buying Russian oil.

I read on CTV that Canada was among the first banning Russian oil because we hadn't bought any in 2 years....so it was easy...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

71vert340

Gas prices here today in eastern Washington. Odd note: non ethanol 89 octane was the cheapest gas today so guess what the Ram truck (5.7) got filled up with. Also filled up two 5 gallon gas cans with it.  No telling where it will all top out at.
Terry W.

HP_Cuda

I wish I could buy Non-Ethanol

:bricks:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

worthywads

Quote from: HP_Cuda on March 11, 2022, 10:35:01 AM

+1

Easily 4% better mpg, more if you try.

torredcuda

Quote from: HP_Cuda on March 11, 2022, 10:35:01 AM

Same here, everything in the state is ethanol except race or AV gas.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

71vert340

I thought non ethanol was available in most states. I have a Maverick station, Circle K (in photo) station and Jet Mart all within a mile of me and all carry 89 non ethanol.
Terry W.

chargerdon

Here in NC pure gas without ethanol is only available in premium 93 octane gas and it is about 30 cents MORE Expensive than ethanol premium.   Before the huge jump in prices the difference was about $60 cents per gallon.  The cheapest gas is E85 ethanol and the best bargain is only available at Sheetz and they sell 88 octane gas which has 15% ethanol in it.   

Ive done the math for Premium:
93 octane 0% ethanol full power                                        currently $5.19 gal         btu  116,000  btu per $ 22,350
93 0ctane 10% ethanol is 4% worse power                         currently $4.89 gal         btu  112,000  btu per $ 23,382

Regular
87 octane 10% ethanol is 4% worse power hence mileage ..currently $4.19 gallon...  btu 112,000   btu per $ 26,730
88 octane 15% ethanol is 5% worse power                         currently $3.69 gal         btu  110,000  btu per $ 29,810
E85 is       85% ethanal is 30% worse                                 currently $3.29 gal         btu    82,000  btu per $ 24,924

Note only cars with Flex Fuel can even use the E85 ethanol, while MOST newer cars Can use the Sheetz 88 octane (15% ethanol which is only 5% more than most "regular 87 octane" gas.   My daily driver is a 2008 Sebring Flex Fuel vehicle an i buy the Sheetz 88 Octane gas whenever i can.   IT is the Cheapest per BTU hence the cheapest per MPG.   I have noticed ZERO difference in its performance vs regular 87 octane 10% ethanol gas.   My mileage with mostly rural driving is 25-26 mpg and have NOT actually noticed any drop in mileage with the 88 15% ethanol.      Heck 1 % is only .25 mpg difference...very hard to notice.   

In my 74 Challenger which requires at least 91 octane gas or it will ping i usually buy the normal premium which here in NC is 93 octane.   I tried the pure gas premium but did not notice any difference in power or mileage.   My mileage is around a horrible 10-11 mpg (would be better if i kept my foot out of it...but i so love the fast driving and feeling of being pushed into the seat).   I did not notice any difference in mileage.    What i actually do is never go below half a tank and alternate between 89 octane and the 93 premium which gives me my needed 91 and that saves the most money.   

Bullitt-

I'm surprised we have not heard more about this report on Ethanol....
Long I've heard it said, now the Feds have their own proof that it has a negative impact.

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/us-corn-based-ethanol-worse-climate-than-gasoline-study-finds-2022-02-14/
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

worthywads

Quote from: Bullitt- on March 12, 2022, 08:41:11 AM
  I'm surprised we have not heard more about this report on Ethanol....
Long I've heard it said, now the Feds have their own proof that it has a negative impact.

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/us-corn-based-ethanol-worse-climate-than-gasoline-study-finds-2022-02-14/

Unfortunately the ethanol scam was heralded by most of the right and left as a good idea even though it was no secret it wasn't a real solution.

It is loved by everyone profiting by this highly subsidized waste.  The National Corn Growers Association and the Renewable Fuels Association spend a lot of money buying midwest legislators.  Recently pushing for year round E-15 allowance in the richly named Consumer and Fuel Retailer Choice Act.

I can't find ethanol free gas anywhere near me, so much for Consumer Choice.

"Green" groups like Sierra Club have never been for ethanol, this wasn't some left wing solution like many want to think.

HP_Cuda

Another grand subsidy in disguise.

Besides when you look at Brazil (which uses way more ethanol than the US) has to deal with health issues around acetaldehydes:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2016-09/documents/acetaldehyde.pdf

Probably not the best path forward.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

soundcontrol

When I filled up my truck 4-5 days ago, diesel here is Sweden was $11,70 per gallon.
Everything else follows since freight and farmers etc also have to raise their prices.
Not complaining, happy to pay more to force Putin to surrender.
We'll get cheap oil once that MF is gone, and he will be.