Main Menu

Not a good day for the Challenger

Started by Brads70, June 23, 2022, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Went to go to a local cruise nite and some dumb kid in a Honda fart can runs into my right rear quarter panel.
He gets out and starts yelling at me? I have to admit a "switch flipped " and it started to get ugly real quick but to my surprise a bunch of guys at the show who saw it happen started in on the guy in an ugly way and he got back in his car real quick.  I even upgraded to sequential led tail light and they are super bright! How this happened I have no idea?  Long story short, he got charged and I now get to deal with insurance.... Its not real bad I don't think it will need a quarter. My neighbor is one of those paintless dent guys and he figures he can get most of it out. but it did bend a rim , and the bumper and trim. If there is a "positive" to this I'm hoping the car will get painted as I doubt it can be matched. The car does need a paint job. My buddy Mike  with the 71 Hemi cuda clone and the 68 Charger I helped him build has a body shop and it already making plans to paint it all. It drove him nuts and he has offered to paint it for a few years now.... so now is the time.
I have had a new trunk floor and drop off sitting here for a few years now as Mike gave me a shopping list... I also have a new stripe kit. So I'll hit up Dave at Roseville for a new bumper tail light lense side maker etc... All ready got an email out to the rim manufacturer to see how fast they can make me another rim.
It sucks balls but in the end it might be a blessing in disguise as it will be better, just timing sucks, likely out for the summer now? 

torredcuda

Man that sucks but at least it`s not too bad. Can you just have the paintless guy pop most of it out and drive it and do the repaint in the fall/winter?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Brads70

Quote from: torredcuda on June 23, 2022, 12:26:17 PM
Man that sucks but at least it`s not too bad. Can you just have the paintless guy pop most of it out and drive it and do the repaint in the fall/winter?

Maybe not sure yet depends on adjuster? Insurance said not to do anything  till it gets looked at.  Getting a new rim might be a sticking point though?

autoxcuda

Brad,

Are those ET-III's two piece or one piece?

If two piece, he will repair them.... But I would want a new one under insurance. Then you have a center for a spare.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Filthy Filbert

I agree with not doing anything until after insurance looks at it and can get you an adjustment value.  But, once that's done, it's your car, and YOU decide what happens to it and when.   Hell, if you wanted to pocket the insurance money and never fix the car? totally legal and your choice.   But, if you get into another fender bender, insurance will not pay out for that same damage a second time.

So, once the damage is assessed by insurance, tell them you want them to write you a check and you will handle the repairs yourself.  Then have the neighbor do his PDR magic and see what he can do, and then get it into the shop for repaint in the fall. 

Brads70

Quote from: autoxcuda on June 23, 2022, 12:38:42 PM
Brad,

If two piece, he will repair them.... But I would want a new one under insurance. Then you have a center for a spare.
yes those are the wheels, I think they are one piece? 18x11 says cast?

http://www.etwheels.com/lt_iii.html

Cudajason

oh man that sucks.

so he DROVE into you! Before I saw the pics I assumed he backed into you.  How did he not see you???

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

autoxcuda

Quote from: Brads70 on June 23, 2022, 12:46:35 PM
Quote from: autoxcuda on June 23, 2022, 12:38:42 PM
Brad,

yes those are the wheels, I think they are one piece? 18x11 says cast?

http://www.etwheels.com/lt_iii.html

I read that chart as the Cast one piece rims are in Red Print.

But that's what they offer currently. Maybe yours were different? If two piece, you should be able to see a weld mark on the backside between the center and the hoop.

He might be able to fix a cast one. Nice guy very approachable.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Brads70

Quote from: Cudajason on June 23, 2022, 12:56:14 PM
oh man that sucks.

so he DROVE into you! Before I saw the pics I assumed he backed into you.  How did he not see you???

Jason

Yes drove into me then screamed that it was my fault somehow?  :looney:
In my world when someone has their right hand turn signal on it usually means they intend on turning right? :)) 
I almost got all the way in before he hit me?  Insurance says I get to pay $1000 deductible?  That seems not right to me, was not my fault?

autoxcuda

Quote from: Brads70 on June 23, 2022, 01:12:07 PM
oh man that sucks.

Jason

In my world when someone has their right hand turn signal on it usually means they intend on turning right? :)) 
I almost got all the way in before he hit me?  Insurance says I get to pay $1000 deductible?  That seems not right to me, was not my fault?

If you don't want to pay deducible, you have to go through his insurance. But in Canada, may be different.

I would suggest Classic Car insurance in future. They usually have very low or zero deductible.

Brads70

Quote from: autoxcuda on June 23, 2022, 01:36:30 PM
oh man that sucks.

Jason

If you don't want to pay deducible, you have to go through his insurance. But in Canada, may be different.

I would suggest Classic Car insurance in future. They usually have very low or zero deductible.

I'm with Hagerty?

anlauto

LOL...I'm on hold right now, on the phone with Hagerty  :rofl: :rofl: been about 35 mins, songs are repeating for the third time now....

That really sucks about your car Brad, sorry to hear that :console: ....just think, now you can paint it pink like you always wanted ....LOL :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

autoxcuda

Quote from: Brads70 on June 23, 2022, 01:46:47 PM
Quote from: autoxcuda on June 23, 2022, 01:36:30 PM
oh man that sucks.

Jason

I'm with Hagerty?

They have $1000 deductible?

I better check my Hagerty policy....

.... here's mine:

Dakota

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your car getting damaged.   Glad you can put a bit of a positive spin on the situation.   Do you still have your other tires and wheels to use?  Not ideal for sure. 

Bullitt-

Sorry your goin through this Brad...  Talk to your agency, they should subrogate with the other guys insurance and recover your deductible is the way I understand it.  :console:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]