Main Menu

Not mopar related, brake controller issue?

Started by Brads70, January 22, 2019, 05:40:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Need some smarter people than me on this one. I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban that the wife drives and we tow a travel trailer with. It's been costing me a mint lately in repairs, fuel pump, throttle body, gas pedal, tires... Latest issue is a parasitic power loss causing a dead battery in a couple of days without use. Battery charges up fine and passes a load test. Yesterday when I climbed in to drive it I noticed  the brake controller was on and active ( with no trailer attached) digital display  does not display the usual N/C ( not connected) but numbers go up as you press the brakes and even stays at 1.0 when off the brake pedal. Even stays on when key is not in ignition.It was -25C last night? ( if that factors into anything?) Last time I towed the trailer the trailer brakes were sticking causing me some concern. I assumed the trailer brakes needed to come apart for service as something was causing them to stick on? So I assume the controller is junk? But would this explain the dead battery? If the trailer is not connected even if the controller is faulty where would the power "go" causing the battery to get drained down?   

RJChallenger

Where would it go ? If the controller is shorting out , consuming power it would go no where . the alternator is not spinning to replace what is being used.

Brads70

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I would suspect the plug for sure. Salt gets in there and corrodes them. When I drove semi I replaced those once in awhile.
Sheldon

DodgeGuy

An easy test to make sure it's the brake controller draining the battery is to simply unplug it, and let the Burb sit for a few days and see what happens.

You might unplug it and then plug it back in and see it if still appears "active".  I have a Prodigy Brake controller in my F350 that I used previously in our Excursion as well (love the brand of brake controller).  I noticed a few times over the last few years that it would do something similar in that it seemed to be active even without our travel trailer connected.  I unplugged it, then plugged it back in, and it was fine.  That seemed to "reset" it.

FWIW
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

Brads70

Quote from: DodgeGuy on January 22, 2019, 07:50:40 AM
An easy test to make sure it's the brake controller draining the battery is to simply unplug it, and let the Burb sit for a few days and see what happens.

You might unplug it and then plug it back in and see it if still appears "active".  I have a Prodigy Brake controller in my F350 that I used previously in our Excursion as well (love the brand of brake controller).  I noticed a few times over the last few years that it would do something similar in that it seemed to be active even without our travel trailer connected.  I unplugged it, then plugged it back in, and it was fine.  That seemed to "reset" it.

FWIW

Ya I removed the controller already, I'll unplug the rear plug/socket next tonight when the wife gets home from work.

Mopar5

If you have a multi meter put in dc current function . Disconnect your battery put the ammeter in series between battery cable and post and watch the current draw with the controller and socket operating removing one at a time socket or controller and watching your current draw will help tell you if the draw is excessive.