Main Menu

Wheel bearing /hub question, not mopar related

Started by Brads70, July 05, 2017, 02:19:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

So a wheel bearing /hub went south on our family 2007 Chevy Suburban. I got it replaced, asked them to do both they only did the one. My question is should I order the second one and replace it? My thinking is it has the same mileage as the one that failed? Like it can't be to far behind the first one? My mechanic is a buddy and he said wait till it goes could be another couple years yet?
Thoughts?

Cudakiller70

I don't like future worries, meaning I'll be thinking about it going out if I didn't do both.  :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

That's a tough one.  Sometimes it seems like parts gets cheaper and less quality now days, but it's hard to know what the future holds for that original hub.  I've changed wheel hubs out on our work trucks before they went bad, but it leaves me wondering how much money I waste doing it early.  And with your hub, it's hard to know exactly why it went out?  Was it an alignment or ball joint issue only affecting that one side?  If you don't have to have it up and running every day (work related) or not planning any super long trips, I would be okay leaving it as is until it goes bad.  But I say that because I have a back up vehicle I can drive in those situations.  Man, I don't know the right thing to do here.

RUNCHARGER

That is a tough one. If you could be assured you are buying the same quality parts as what the factory installed I would change it out. Hard to say these days though.
Sheldon

jimynick

I'd buy the other bearing and then run it until it needed it. Your buddy has a point and unless you think it'll leave you on the side of the road, I'd wait and keep an ear open. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

usraptor

Depends on how much use it gets.  You say it's the family vehicle.  I assume that means the wife drives it the most and you take it on family trips, etc.  If it were mine, I'd replace both at the same time. My  :alan2cents: