Main Menu

1973 Cuda Project 8-3/4 disk brake related

Started by oldmoparbuff, August 04, 2017, 03:39:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

oldmoparbuff

I have the complete 8-3/4 rear out of the car so I can paint the bottom of the floorboards.  I have a 3:55 Sure grip and SS Springs to swap back in.
My question is for those of you that have converted to rear disk brakes.

Keep in mind this is not a no holds barred spend a fortune getting the car back on the road project.
I am doing 95% of the work myself.

I'm looking for middle ground on a disk brake swap.
I know disk brakes are not necessary, but this car will pass onto my son someday.
Having predictable brake performance and ease of maintenance are key factors.

I am not above junk yarding parts, but would like to stay mopar even if distant 2nd cousins.

Thanks guys for your input..

oldmoparbuff

303 Mopar

First of all, a front disc rear drum car is perfectly safe since 70-75% of the braking happens up front.  I just swapped the rears on my Cuda with a set from Wilwood and it was a waste of money, time and very difficult.  There are a list of things I would do first to make your car safer and more fun to drive than worry about rear discs.

If you are hell bent on get rear discs, I would call Cass at doctordiff.com and get his rear disc swap. There are cheaper alternatives and you can spend 6-12 months looking for all the right parts but if you are going to do it, do it right. :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

There are a few other things you'll also need to consider besides just the rear disk brakes themselves.  The proportioning valve is designed to apply different pressures to drum brakes vs disc brakes.  So you will most likely need to get an adjustable proportioning valve so you can dial in the rear brakes.  You might need a different master brake cylinder resovor too.  Disc brakes need more fluid and that is why you see different size reservoir  (large and small / front and back) on a stock disc front and drum rears.

The person that might be able to help you is Dr. Diff.  I know he sells a lot of rear brake axle set ups.  Maybe @Brads70  or @Chryco Psycho  have some ideas?

Brads70

I have rear disc brakes from Cass. They work fine. I like that he uses stock parts that are commonly available at any parts store.

Chryco Psycho

I have to agree with a lot of what was said here
DR Diff & Scarebird are the Only systems I would use
they both use common parts
Drum brakes work fine for the first 2 hard stops after that they will heat up & become less effective so unless you are doing autocross or similar I doubt you will ever notice the difference with rear disc .
A lot of rear disc systems require the use of Green brgs , this is bad , the tapered roller brgs are far superior so the system has to use tapered roller brgs IMO .
Most rear disc brakes will use a wide caliper that will hit the rear sway bar , this is also bad .
I would rather have the tapered brgs & a rear sway bar over rear discs . So these are the key points to look for  :alan2cents:
I have a set of the Imperial rear discs I was going to adapt to the rear of my Charger but I never got it done although I have used the system on other builds .

oldmoparbuff

Thanks for the help guys.
I will rebuild the rear end in stock configuration, New wheel cylinders, shoes, and such.
I can certainly find other areas in the project to spend money.

Best Regards All.

Crash520

Install the smaller rear slave cylinders to help prevent rear  take lock up @Brads70 just did a tech report on this, search for it on here, only a couple of weeks ago, I'm about to swap mine out
Greg
Brisbane
Australia