Main Menu

Of course a Cat 5 storm is heading my way.... just because I moved.

Started by mopar thunder, September 06, 2017, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: dodj on September 08, 2017, 02:11:49 AM
Cool! Although...looking at how exposed you would be, lucky you lived?
Why was it called the 'Glass Breakwater'?

Named for Admiral Glass...

Henry Glass was a Rear Admiral in the United States Navy, best remembered for his role in the bloodless capture of Guam in the Spanish–American War.

Yeah, a little exposed.. Stupid, but you know the saying, Young, Dumb & full of ......    Luckily Apra Harbor where the breakwater is located is on the western side of Guam & does see much storm surge.. That tends to happen more on the eastern side of the island..

Solarguy

I'm all boarded up here in Ft Laud.  I came home from New England vacation Tuesday to find little left on store shelves, lines for gas, etc.  I've been living here 34 years, through Andrew and many more, this one has me scared.  I hope the garage door holds.  I'm putting the car up on jack stands to gain a little flood clearance, cooking everything in the freezer and watching the path. 

RusTy/SE

I know I'm far away, but I have an unused bedroom and 2nd bathroom just in case...

:grouphug:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

mopar thunder

Such uncertainty with the path led me to believe to stay. Ran into shutter problems and worked all day today putting them up and trying to fix a few issues. Roads clogged, little gas no supplies to get so I'm not feeling good. Plus the 6 pm forecast was NOW Irma is shifting west and rolling up the western coast...... right over me.  Too late to leave so will do what I can tomorrow and hope and pray things stay together. Houses seems well built but have no protection for the 4 sliders on the lanai in the back.

Chryco Psycho

Stay safe guys , I am praying for the best outcome for anyone affected

734406PK

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys! Please stay safe and hang in there! This hurricane looks like a bad one...  :notsure:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: mopar thunder on September 08, 2017, 06:41:30 PM
Such uncertainty with the path led me to believe to stay. Ran into shutter problems and worked all day today putting them up and trying to fix a few issues. Roads clogged, little gas no supplies to get so I'm not feeling good. Plus the 6 pm forecast was NOW Irma is shifting west and rolling up the western coast...... right over me.  Too late to leave so will do what I can tomorrow and hope and pray things stay together. Houses seems well built but have no protection for the 4 sliders on the lanai in the back.

Hope your on somewhat high ground..... If not I've always felt the stairwell of a concrete parking structure would likely be a pretty safe spot to ride out the storm....  And I'd bring my Mopar along too...

The parking garage is actually my brother's plan who lives near Ft Lauderdale.
In an earthquake would not like being in a precast parking garage, too many construction joints , but should be ok in a hurricane, wind will travel thru it and water should not accumulate , park mid height.

303 Mopar

Quote from: 73440 on September 08, 2017, 09:25:43 PM
The parking garage is actually my brother's plan who lives near Ft Lauderdale.
In an earthquake would not like being in a precast parking garage, too many construction joints , but should be ok in a hurricane, wind will travel thru it and water should not accumulate , park mid height.

Try to get up at least one level.  Sometimes the storm surge can flood areas.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Roadman on September 07, 2017, 03:44:44 PM
       I'm staying, have all my supplies. House is very strong, been thru several in the past. Worst part is how long the power will be out.   :rebelflag"

Same here, we'll see how it goes.

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

I have friends living in Cape Coral and Apollo, looks like they will get hit headon with the latest model.