Main Menu

**One day we shall die. but all the other days we shall be alive

Started by Bullitt-, November 05, 2018, 07:38:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bullitt-

Good Morning Crew... I'm making this post not to elicit sympathy but rather possibly help others that may find themselves in a similar situation.

One week ago this morning I found myself in the ER suffering from a pretty serious heart attack talking to the surgeon who said I was lucky to be alive, he used the term Widow Maker, and that cardiac catheterization was really my only option. A couple of hours later I had the procedure during which they discovered 2-arteries with 100% blockage with total of 4 receiving multiple Stints to restore blood flow.  The good news is my surgeon says I should be better off once I'm fully recovered than before this incident and I've done better through the whole process than anyone could have imagined.. 
   I knew something was going on for about 20 hours before taking myself in for attention but I was quite certain that this was a case of indigestion mimicking heart issues but my Dr. says that a heart attack can also mimic indigestion.... Lesson Learned....
   He also said that it was apparent that in the past I had suffered heart attacks, he couldn't say how long ago or how many but believed there had been several which probably explains my diminished energy levels over the last few years. 

In retrospect I was probably having issues a full week earlier as I had a day of inexplicable bloating and painful gas and the next day was easily winded however a day or so later I push mowed my entire lawn without any break and on Thursday played a round of golf with no issues. Things really started to go south midday Sunday while I was doing some light yard work and suddenly felt overwhelmed by heat and felt exhausted which evolved into chest discomfort and eventually severe pain at several points in my upper right torso and head.  After maybe an hour of seeking relief from what I took as extreme trachea pain things improved and I was able to take a nap.  Upon waking the pain was back though not quite as bad but continued through a sleepless night.  At 7AM Monday I was at my favorite walk in clinic for treatment, they immediately put on their EKG machine & bingo I won a ambulance ride to the ER....

Anyhow I've been home since Thursday evening and felling pretty darn good considering. A few minutes of the BAMA v LSU game caused some agony....LOL 
Having to do the extreme chill & of course avoid some of my favorite activates for a few weeks till I have my recheck but the future looks bright.
  Just glad I can be here to tell about it..  :)
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Spikedog08

Damn Wade!  That doesn't sound good at all . . . glad you caught it!  I am one that definitely needs to take better care of myself . . . sometimes we just feel invincible! 

Prayers to you and hope for a full recovery!   :clapping:   :wave:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

1ownr

Wow. - so often our bodies talk to us, but we just don't listen. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Take care.

Judy & Charlie

6Pack70

Wow!!  I'm glad you got yourself to a doctor when you did!!   Brother in law had very similar experience and never saw it coming.  Major blockage. He's 51 and doing great today.  Good luck with your recovery. 

anlauto

My Father had indigestion, actually drove to the store for some Tums ...died a few hours later.....now EVERY time I get indigestion I get paranoid  :o

I'm glad it turned out good for you...speedy recovery  :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

I am so glad you pulled through Wade , you would have been missed for sure !
I have a good friend here that just went through a similar situation  having a major heart rebuild , he too is doing far better now .
One day will be the last for all of us but it is better to kick that can as far down the road as possible .

303 Mopar

Cuda Cody

Jay Bee

Wow, Just wow. You're so lucky for so many reasons. Thanks for the heads up on some symptoms we might overlook. I'm really happy it all worked out for you.

dodj

Wow! Has a heart attack and waits a week before calling for help. You are one tough SOB.
Glad you are on the mend and things look positive. :bradsthumb:

While you are sitting on your butt, I expect more posts from the deep south. :drinkingbud:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Slotts

Hey Wade,

Glad you are around to tell us about this. I am so glad to hear about the positive results. Take it easy for a while. Have you been in touch with MoparAl? You were one of the first people to reply and welcome me when I joined that "other" Mopar forum.

I do have another question for you after reading this part...

Quote from: Bullitt- on November 05, 2018, 07:38:26 AM
....they immediately put on their EKG machine & bingo I won a ambulance ride to the ER....

Did you win the free ride from Publishers Clearing House?

Sorry Wade, just had to ask! I am so glad that I could ask!  :twothumbsup:
Take care of yourself, Buddy!

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

xx88man

I'm happy to hear you got help in time and are on the mend! Take care of yourself!   :cheers:
Keep yer foot in it

70/6chall

Wade........I am truly happy you are still with us. Heart attacks can sneak up on you out of left field unless you have been under cardiac care and are aware of the symptoms that in a lot of us go unnoticed. We are so busy in life taking care of others that we fail to take care of ourselves, do you think this is why they call it the "silent killer. I have lost 4 immediate family members in the same amount of years, both my parents, and 2 brothers, 1 of my brothers at 68, in good health went down with a massive heart attack and never got back up. No indication other than being out of breath. I'm not sure of your age, but I am in my early 70's and had my first heart attack when I was 56, my second was in 2012 at 66 and another in 2013, each time a few days under hospital care. The "widow maker" or left anterior descending and I are old friends. I experienced in each breathing difficulties and pain in my upper left arm that radiated into my back, I had complete blockage in the arteries concerned. Like me maybe your body is saying, it's time to slow down and take care of yourself or you won't be around to take care of those you love. I have learned a lot from my episodes and heed the most subtle of symptoms. Take care of yourself,   Al

Burdar

Glad you're still here Wade.  You helped me a lot when I was building my Challenger.  It was great to be able to meet you in Carlisle as well.

Dakota

Wade - thanks for sharing your story. So glad to hear you're on the mend.

Most of the guys I know (at one time including me) for whatever reason are slow to recognize warning signs from their bodies. I know of two people this past month that had close calls with arterial blockage like you.  Both of them survived because they had someone overriding their tendency to ignore things. The latest chapter of my story involved believing I had an ear infection but finding out I had an issue that required 2 surgeries to address (all better now).

Hopefully someone reading this thread will think twice if they have an episode of their own.