Main Menu

Pontiac $150K Ram Air V Engine

Started by Topcat, February 10, 2021, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Meh: I'd sooner own an engine that has held a lot of records by various sanctioning bodies and was factored out of competition by NHRA when nobody could beat it on equal terms.
Sheldon

jlemler

My father use to have a great answer for this question.  "Son it is only worth what someone will pay for it"  Until someone pays the amount asked it is not worth it.

davy442

Super crazy money. When I was about 20, a local guy was advertising ?3 RA 5 engines, in pieces, for several thousand dollars.   I had thought about buying them, but didn't own a Pontiac, and never have so far. Would have been cool though, and probably a good investment. 

Pontiac copied mid '60's Ford 427 tunnel port heads, as the bore spacing is close, to come out with their own tunnel port heads, labeled as ram air 5 heads. Ford had already moved on to Boss 429 hemi, and 429 SCJ for their main performance heads. So the tunnel port wedge chamber design was old technology by the late'60's.  Pontiac tried the RA 5 heads on a 303 TA motor, but I think the ports were too large, and the chevy sbc heads on the z28 302 made more all around power, so Pontiac equipped there factory sponsored TA's with 302 sbc's for competitive racing.