Main Menu

Quarantine or not?

Started by torredcuda, March 20, 2020, 09:51:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: IRON MAN on March 20, 2020, 04:24:32 PM
USPS dropped off a T-handle tailgate lock (came from Michigan) for my '57 BelAir station wagon. The small box was slid under the front gate. I stared at it wondering if it was contaminated with covd-19.  :notsure: WHO states the virus cannot survive 15 minutes at 140 degrees. The T-handle is all metal. Put it in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees. Then, sprayed it with Lysol. Overkill?

Depends...did you carry your gun with you to the front gate ? :pokeeye: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I had three large boxes delivered yesterday from UPS....when I wasn't looking, my wife sprayed them down heavily with Lysol :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ToxicWolf

They just announced an 11pm curfew for Florida.  :bricks:

kawahonda

I just acquired 15 gallons of beer-making materials.

Ready to keep myself busy at home.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

GoodysGotaCuda

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JS29

Marshal law was just imposed in New York state! Nanny Cuomo Has spoken. So if I go anywhere it will be in my wrecker as it' considered an essential service.  :yes: 

JH27N0B

Radio personality I listen to some on my morning commute mentioned a few times last week, that a homeland security agent showed up at his house recently and gave him a card of some sort to allow travel. He's sort of a hothead shock jock type (Mancow Mueller, I think he's syndicated so maybe some outside the Chicago area hear him), so I take what he says with a grain of salt.  But some of his callers in certain jobs like Streets and Sanitation said they'd got those cards recently too, so this may be true.  If so, I'd guess that means a nationwide shutdown is coming because homeland security wouldn't be giving out cards for local or state shutdowns.
Ben Shapiros podcasts over the last week or so on this have been very interesting.  Yesterdays one he talked about shutdowns and kept saying what is the plan, are you just wrecking the economy to postpone the inevitable or is there a plan to increase medical capabilities etc so that things can be opened back up in a few weeks?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tTayZX6LNtA

Wedg2Go

In late August of 1975 I acquired some sort of virus that has done nothing but compromise my respiratory system to date.

My wife and I decide, with this Covid-19 in full swing, not to take chances and self-isolate (not really "quarantine" since neither of us have, or intend to have, this current pandemic virus) . I say "self-isolate" carefully because it is near impossible to address issues like medication, perishable goods, etc-etc without subjecting yourself to in store customers/employees or delivery 'carriers' not showing symptoms. Even if you have it delivered to your doorstep you are still running the unknown factor of Covid-19 viability on cardboard or paper (it's an unknown). So, with fewer trips to the store, it's a quick dash into the store - observing the six foot rule (as well as other known rules) - and quick dash out. So far, our county is not on the list of infected counties in Colorado. When it becomes so, I plan on upping my game to insure our safety. In my mind IF I acquire Covid-19 and with a compromised respiratory system, that will be pretty much the end for me. More so, since this virus dispatches the elderly set at a higher percentage than other age groups. I am sixty-six and my wife is sixty-er-um-something (I really meant to say, "thirty-nine and holding"). *ahem* We are both retired from the 'Rat-Race' some time ago.

I know! Perhaps to some of you, I seem a little 'anal retentive', but better alive than dead.

So far we haven't found it too difficult to adjust to self-isolation. I am a practicing lonely-only in my family and my wife is somewhat close to her brother (another state now). Since we arrived to our new home, to live here full-time, our acquaintances have been extremely limited. That was two years ago. New friends locally, for us, don't exist. Which oddly, we don't find it a detriment. So our "Social Life" is nil and is less likely for transference of this dreadful virus. Good for them and good for us. I will miss slowing down in the shopping aisles. I will miss going to a  church. I will miss participating in car shows, but knowing what I know and observing state mandates will (hopefully) keep us kickin'.

To make it all go by easier, self-isolation on 2 1/2 acres in a rural county helps. Having a ton (if it could be measured this way) of projects and the wife's – honey-do - list helps. Self-meditation (prayer) helps. Trying to solve the problem of your six pack leaking fuel all over the top of your 440 helps. Keeping the consequences of breaking "your" rules implanted in you're mind helps. Reading a book or watching a good (HA!) movie helps. Knowing you went through something like it in 1975 helps.

I really don't know what more to say about this, except, "Everybody stay healthy!!!"

Oh! Btw – To those that go through this ordeal and survive, my hat is off to you... https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article241095161.html

Topcat

Mopar N95 = Idle STOP

Medical mask N95 - Foreign matter STOP

anlauto

In Quebec City, police arrested a woman Friday who was infected with the virus and who was walking around outside after being mandated to stay indoors. The arrest was the first time Quebec City's public health director issued an order to police under emergency powers granted after Premier Francois Legault declared a public health emergency March 14.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Scary numbers :o

ROME, March 21 (Reuters) - The death toll from an outbreak of coronavirus in Italy has leapt by 793 in one day to 4,825, officials said on Saturday, an increase of 19.6% -- by far the largest daily rise in absolute terms since the contagion emerged a month ago.
On Thursday, Italy overtook China as the country to register most deaths from the highly contagious virus.
The total number of cases in Italy rose to 53,578 from a previous 47,021, an increase of 13.9%, the Civil Protection Agency said.

torredcuda

Such a tough decision, lot`s of conflicting information and I really don`t think they know enough about it yet. Half the people say we are overreacting and it`s "just like the flu" while others say it`s really bad and take every precaution you can. My plan is to talk to my boss (CEO of the company), inform him of the employee most likely to have travelled to NYC last week, see what he says and make my decision from there.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

kdcarman

Quote from: torredcuda on March 22, 2020, 05:30:35 AM
Such a tough decision, lot`s of conflicting information and I really don`t think they know enough about it yet. Half the people say we are overreacting and it`s "just like the flu" while others say it`s really bad and take every precaution you can. My plan is to talk to my boss (CEO of the company), inform him of the employee most likely to have travelled to NYC last week, see what he says and make my decision from there.

I don't believe this is like the typical flu.

The COVID19 depending on which numbers you look at is between 1 and 3 percent.  Typical flu is one tenth of one percent.  Making the COVID19 minimally 10 times more deadly then the flu.  Although I suspect there may be more people infected then are reported, which would lower the death rate.

I think the real issue is how this one spreads.  Typical flu your contagious for 24 hours without symptoms and 4 or 5 days with symptoms.  COVID19 you can 5 days without symptoms and be contagious and another 7 days or so after.

And all of this without a vaccine or a population that has any built up immunity. 

In my opinion we have a challenging 12 - 24 months ahead of us.

benlavigne

I am happy that I've had a home office for a while, now, so I am used to work remotely. I am in sales, but have not gone out to see customers for over a week, and will not until the situation is under control, phone and video calls only, and I don't think they mind. Quebec provincial governement has been proactive with warnings, school closings and requests for people to stay home and not socialize, and a 14-day quarantine for anyone entering the province from anywhere else, and I think people in general are getting the message. My wife and I are staying home, and are in contact with our parents and daughters remotely, we just had a family brunch... via Skype!
With the 14-day period in which the virus can incubate without showing symptoms, it's very likely that a lot more people than you think have been exposed to it... A worker at a Bombardier plant has just been confirmed, and has been in contact with at least 1000 co-workers before he realized he had symptoms, including my niece, it makes you realize that the degrees of separation between you and the virus are getting smaller. Imagine if that person had contracted the virus abroad and decided not to observe the 14-day self-imposed quarantine, and that he infected some co-workers, who infected an elderly relative... It's the domino effect that needs to be stopped. So far, the curve here is flatter than average, so it seems to be helping...

I'd rather be the guy who took too many precautions (and that does not mean buying a year's worth of Toilet paper!) when we get back to semi-normal...

Everyone stay safe!

Ben

torredcuda

Quote from: kdcarman on March 22, 2020, 07:34:55 AM
Quote from: torredcuda on March 22, 2020, 05:30:35 AM

I don't believe this is like the typical flu.

In my opinion we have a challenging 12 - 24 months ahead of us.

That is the other issue, we could self quarantine for a few weeks and hopefully it will be under control but they are saying it could ump up again in the fall and be around a year or more before there is a vaccine - we can`t all quarantine and social distance that long can we?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

RUNCHARGER

That's the problem, I read that they are ready to start test different vaccines all over the world but it seems testing takes about a year. Right now it is only the old and weak that are dying, hopefully that won't change.
Sheldon