Main Menu

Question about upgrading a 1989 Dodge Ram pick up engine/trans....

Started by Oldschool, January 24, 2018, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Oldschool

I have a friend that owns a sweet 1989 Dodge Ram truck with a 5.2 and 4 wheel drive. He is willing spend between $5000 and $10,000 to replace the engine/trans in order to get more power. The stock 318 is weak. What would be the best way to go here in your opinion, find and install a 5.7 Hemi out of a wrecked car or buy a crate 360 LA and run it with a carb? Just trying to gather info in order to make a decision on which direction to go. Thanks guys....

Chryco Psycho

No question the Hemi is the better choice better power & efficiency , cost will be higher though , hemi will bolt to the 518 trans

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 24, 2018, 07:52:37 AM
No question the Hemi is the better choice better power & efficiency , cost will be higher though , hemi will bolt to the 518 trans

:iagree:

Burdar

I don't know if a 5.7 swap can be done easily for what he wants to spend. He'll need to research it.  Do they make conversion mounts for that year of truck?  It might cost him less to swap in a Magnum 360.  All of his existing accessories should bolt up without any modifications which would save some money.

The 89 5.2 should be a roller cam engine.  The Magnum 360 would be as well.  If he junks the 5.2, have him keep the lifters, pushrods and dog bone plate off of the engine.

RUNCHARGER

The Hemi would work well. My son swapped in a 360 Magnum into his 89 and it really worked well too. I don't know what he swapped with the wiring but it wasn't that hard. We pulled the Magnum out of a 95 I believe. he changed the automatic to the NV4500 at the same time. It ran fairly strong and I seen a video out of him making believers out of some Chevy boys by doing a half block long burnout with those 35's on there.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

I'm not sure the bang for buck is there on the Hemi for this one. Depending on the build, it can cost as much as the truck is probably worth.

I vote for a healthy 5.9L Magnum motor, couldn't he keep the TBI with that quite easily? A hopped up 5.9L could easily add 50%+ horsepower versus the tired 5.2L and be a much simpler swap.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

My son dumped the TBI it wasn't all that hard. He needed a new fuel pump as I recall.
Sheldon