Main Menu

Road Trip to Niceville Florida CA.1978

Started by RusTy/SE, June 17, 2017, 08:08:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RusTy/SE

These are the only photos I have from a weekend road trip I took with some friends back around 1978 or so, my buddy Dave S along with mine representing E-bods.   :driving:

Dave is in his 72 Cuda, Bill J has the 68 Camaro (it ran a non-original mechanical lifter 302), Dave's brother Mike has the 70 1/2 Z-28 (running a L88 427/M-22 4sp and 4.11s), and Ron R (68 Mustang (302-4bbl). Four of us left Montgomery one Spring Friday night after cruising the local hotspot, Atlanta Highway and arrived at Niceville where Ron lived with his parents in time to get some sleep; Dave and Mike knew Ron from being previously stationed overseas. 

Saturday we rode around and hung out at the beach. Saturday night I recall involving a case of Budweiser, slamming my finger in the door of my Challenger  :bricks:  along with more beer and lots of Foosball followed by some more beer :drinkingbud: :cheers: :drinkingbud:  If anyone remembers Foosball, gripping the rods while the ball was in play would be the only relief from my throbbing finger that night. Sunday afternoon on the way back the four of us got caught by the only traffic light in Opp, Alabama :stayinlane: Bill J and Mike S made it through before it changed no problem. I kicked in the 4bbl and made it as it turned yellow :burnout:, so of course Dave in the back kicks it in - right as it turns red :burnout: - resulting in both he and I receiving citations :takemymoney: :sorry:

I still had a great time, all things considered!

pic 1 - just under 260 miles/2 1/2 hours give or take
pic 2 - judging from my HS graduation tassels hanging from the rear view mirror and the flannel shirt, I'm guessing 1978
pic 3 - Mike, me, Ron (standing), Bill
pic 4 - Dave, Bill, Mike, me
pic 5 - gratuitous lounge-on-the-hood shot 8)
pic 6 - gratuitous stand-beside-your-ride shot 8)
pic 9 - Bill, me, Mike, Ron
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

J-Code Jeni

These pictures are so great and the story is the cherry on top!!  :1place:

RusTy/SE

JS29U0B

Cuda Cody

Those photos rock!  They're a glimpse back to a wonderful time.  Thanks for sharing.   :banana:

Chryco Psycho

That is cool , both the pictures & the memories  :bradsthumb:

RusTy/SE

Thanks @Cuda Cody and @J-Code Jeni  :)

Y'know I agonized over whether I should post these - wish I'd thought to take some pics of the Niceville cruising scene instead of just us.

Still, you're spot on Cody. It was a little less hectic back then. These were our daily drivers and we customized (most of) them to our individual tastes and proceeded to have as much fun as we could.
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 17, 2017, 08:34:57 PM
Those photos rock!  They're a glimpse back to a wonderful time.  Thanks for sharing.   :banana:

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 17, 2017, 08:38:32 PM
That is cool , both the pictures & the memories  :bradsthumb:

Of when I was skinny and had hair lol

The five of us were all about two years out of HS at the time of this trip :)
JS29U0B

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Rev-It-Up

Great pics Russ! Sounds like a great weekend too. I was living in south Florida at that time. It was a different world back then.
Rev-It-Up

blown motor

Those pics are so cool! I wish I had some from that time period to post.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Shoooter

Those are great pictures.it looks like a total different world. I'm sure ill be saying the same thing one day

kent_goins

awesome pics :clapping: The last pic could be the cover of a southern rock album called Flannel in Florida :D. You had the best car by the way. Yes those were the days!!!! :bradsthumb:

Timbbuc2

What a cool story and pics, well what is it, "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle"
Get in, I'll drive

CudaMoparRay

Great pictures bringing memories of my own when wearing my favorite outfit -----Bell Bottom pants.
Still skinny but no hair, I guess one out of two not bad lol

RusTy/SE

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on July 26, 2017, 12:59:48 PM
Great pictures bringing memories of my own when wearing my favorite outfit -----Bell Bottom pants.
Still skinny but no hair, I guess one out of two not bad lol

They don't show but I was wearing my favorite pair of Earth Shoes, too 8) 

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on July 26, 2017, 05:45:34 AM
What a cool story and pics, well what is it, "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle"

Thanks!

RollTide!

Headed to Atlanta for the opening game :takemymoney: :takemymoney:
JS29U0B