Main Menu

My Florida trip - Video Added

Started by blown motor, January 15, 2018, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

When I saw @BIGSHCLUNK this past summer in Milwaukee I said I was going to Kissimmee to the Mecum auction in January and why don't you come down and join me. At the time I didn't think I was taking the car. Normally I store my car somewhere warm and tinker on it in the winter but that didn't happen this year so I thought I would drive to Florida and take it with me. Part of the reason for doing this is that I've thought it would be fun when I retire to take my car to events around the continent. Before buying a trailer I wanted to try it out and see if I would enjoy it as much as I thought I would. ie: is the hauling worth the effort for the enjoyment gained. So I rented a trailer and hauled Nina to Florida.
I got there on Wednesday night. Thursday morning I unloaded her and gave her a little clean and shine. Then I was off to the Orlando airport to pick up BIGS from his flight. We went east to the coast then north on Highway 1. Had to make a quick U-turn upon spotting a brewpub, we needed lunch. Then we carried on up to New Smyrna Beach where we met my cousin for supper and back to Orlando. Almost 200 miles and the end of day one. Friday morning we met @Roadman  and @ToxicWolf  for breakfast, then went to the Mecum auction. After the auction we went to Old Town, Kissimmee for the evening car show. Saturday we met Mark for breakfast again and met a couple of his other friends, Daniel and Reuben. Daniel has a 68 Barracuda convertible that he's working on and a Duster. Reuben has the most incredible 57 Chev I've ever seen. After breakfast we went to Melbourne on the coast for a car show and Mopar swap meet. Then back to Old Town, by way of another brewpub for lunch, for the Saturday evening show. At the show we met @cataclysm80 and his wife, father and his wife. Good to meet you Tavis.  :wave: Sunday morning was head home time.
On the way home I was to meet up with @Rev-It-Up  and company and do a run with the Pixie Duster but she had to cancel due to a family situation. I was also supposed to meet up with Yourpar and he was going to do a video shoot with my car but it was snowing too much in Cinncinnati to do a good video so we cancelled it.
I'll cover Old Town in a separate thread when I get some editing done. I'll also add a video to this thread but it could take a week or two because I have to connect with my editing team (my daughter and her boyfriend).
Is it worth hauling the car that distance: Hell Ya!!! It was a really sweet three days and I didn't mind the driving. I would buy a much better trailer than what I rented. I met a guy that lives a couple hours from me and he used to trailer his cars (serendipity)and he gave me some good advice on trailer design. I also need a better truck.
One of the highlights: we were in the parking lot at the hotel and had just unloaded the car Friday morning when two guys pulled in driving a Corvette. They got out and walked over, asked a couple questions about the car and then one of them said "that thing is badass!" That was pretty sweet coming from a Corvette guy.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

I guess you had a great time !

Cuda Cody

That sounds like an epic trip!     :woohoo:   Thanks for sharing the story.   :drinkingbud:

71340RT

Sounded like a great and can't wait to hear more.
1971 Challenger RT 340 auto 1 of 731
1973 Challenger Rallye 392 Hemi A41 4 speed automatic
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi auto

Brads70

Good for you Murray! Glad to see you enjoying a lifetime of effort!  :clapping:

mopar thunder

That's awesome, sounds like it was a blast. If my car was completed I would have gone to Mecum and some of the events but not yet.  :cheers:

blown motor

Cool story - We were at the car show in Melbourne and there was a 65 Coronet 500 convertible, 383, 4 speed in a tan colour. We got talking to the owner and he ordered one new and shortly after got drafted and sent to Vietnam so the car got sold. Last year they found a match. I'm not sure how long they were looking but it was a 65 Coronet convertible, 383, 4 speed in the same colour but not his original car. What are the odds? His wife had mobility problems and was on a scooter and they had made a trailer to put her scooter on and she goes to the shows with him.

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: blown motor on January 16, 2018, 06:00:58 AM
Cool story - We were at the car show in Melbourne and there was a 65 Coronet 500 convertible, 383, 4 speed in a tan colour. We got talking to the owner and he ordered one new and shortly after got drafted and sent to Vietnam so the car got sold. Last year they found a match. I'm not sure how long they were looking but it was a 65 Coronet convertible, 383, 4 speed in the same colour but not his original car. What are the odds? His wife had mobility problems and was on a scooter and they had made a trailer to put her scooter on and she goes to the shows with him.
The show was worth it just for talking with this couple if nothing else.  :yes:

Seems to be one part with a trailer missing from this story tho.........   :rofl:

303 Mopar

Great time had by all!   :drinkingbud:   Looking forward to the video and pics! 

340challconvert

Sounds like it was a fun and worthwhile trip
Glad you are driving and enjoying your car.
:ohyeah:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

blown motor

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 16, 2018, 06:32:06 AM
The show was worth it just for talking with this couple if nothing else.  :yes:

Seems to be one part with a trailer missing from this story tho.........   :rofl:

You better spill it @BIGSHCLUNK The public wants to know.

ToxicWolf

Great to see you both.  I hope you come back again.   :wave:  :banana:

Rev-It-Up

Sounds like a great little vacation, Murray!  Sorry I missed being apart of it.  Next time!
Rev-It-Up

Cudajason

Sounds like a great trip!  and a great retirement plan!!!

Now someone spill the beans on the trailer...who bought what?!?!?!?
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Spikedog08

Certainly sounds like an awesome trip!  One day I may do that myself!   :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!