Main Menu

Severe weather season is here

Started by Burdar, March 06, 2017, 06:50:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71-440

Well the big winter storm was a no show. Rain in the morning and the sun came out this afternoon. Made it to 37F. Tonight low 18F.

Last year we got hit with 10 inches of heavy wet snow. I had no electricity for 3 days. Luckily I have a generator and other emergency gear.

I don't know how you guys up north deal with that extreme cold. When I was younger the cold didn't bother me to much but now no way.

Stay warm my friends!
Joe

blown motor

When you grow up with it it's no big deal. You just roll with it. Last week my daughter as winter camping in Quebec. She was really looking forward to sleeping outside. It's all about being prepared for the conditions and acting accordingly.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

For some people , no amount of being prepared made any difference in my case , sick 6+ months / year & miserable

YellowThumper

Quote from: Brads70 on January 29, 2019, 04:50:03 PM
Lots of Javelin parts are falling from the sky......  :banana:

LOL there is a positive in everything.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

303 Mopar

65 in Denver yesterday and predicting a blizzard today, well maybe. Schools and businesses announced closures yesterday.

303 Mopar

Well for once they were right. A foot of snow, 80 mph winds, 0 visibility, loss power off and on all day, airport closed, highways closed, basically a mess. Blizzard, bomb cyclone, snowpocalyose, whatever you want to call it everything is shut down. Most things are still closed this morning, including schools and major highways. Today is dig out day.

Chryco Psycho

Nothing I miss about that , stay safe  :bigthumb:

js27

Don't miss that crap at all.
Stay Safe and be careful digging out. I lost my father when he was digging out after a storm.
JS27

Brads70

Yuck, good money making weather for me if it was here..... but I'm not gonna lie, glad it's not!
It's not the snowfall amounts so much but those wind speeds!  :o

cuda hunter

Clear skies here in Salida.  Beautiful as usual.  Thank goodness I don't have to dig snow out of my already dug house hole. 

I have to go down to Colorado Springs and replace my mom and dads shingles on part of their roof.  It blew right off last night.  New roofing as well.   They just had it replaced due to a hail storm last summer down there. 

The front range SUCKS !!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

303 Mopar

@CudaKat lives east of me and had some serious drifts. He's chaining up the JD, meanwhile my neighbors are helping neighbors. My sons Dart won't be going anywhere for a while.

PatO

I live in Castle Rock, just south of Denver.  I-25 is still closed to the south of us, all the way to Colorado Springs, so I have the day off again. They were still pulling people out of their stranded vehicles till 1 or 2 in the morning and bringing them to the Douglas County Fairgrounds about a mile from my house.  We drove around a bit this morning and saw dozens and dozens of semi's parked around town and around the local exits just waiting. Lots of vehicles and semi's at the fairgrounds.  We watched as a bus or two at a time started bringing people onto and down the closed interstate back to their vehicles.  Must be quite a process to get the vehicles cleared out of the way, get the drivers back to their cars so they can move them, then the plows clear some more highway, then bring more drivers to move the cars, then more plowing, all of this for 20 miles or more.

Hats off to all the Police, Fireman, CDOT and County personnel and the local churches who stepped up last night and today to help these people.

cuda hunter

Quote from: PatO on March 14, 2019, 12:42:25 PM
Hats off to all the Police, Fireman, CDOT and County personnel and the local churches who stepped up last night and today to help these people.

Amen to that!  American's helping American's.  Community is how this great project is supposed to be. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

303 Mopar

Quote from: PatO on March 14, 2019, 12:42:25 PM

Just south of me the Elizabeth FD had a snowcat going around and borrowing peoples snowmobiles rescuing stranded motorists. 

cuda hunter

@303 Mopar
That's quite the drift outside your garage door there.  4'6" looks like.