Main Menu

Small World

Started by Timbbuc2, June 30, 2017, 09:31:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Timbbuc2

I like to check out Craigslist, ebay and other sites looking for stuff. Well yesterday I found a set of headers for a 440. Which I have no use for or desire to ever put on a car.
Strange thing is, I seen the location where this guy lives, in was in my home town. So just for the heck of it I sent him a text and ask him what he had, A 72 Duster Sassy grass green,440 4 speed. And turns out he lives one street over from me , I thought " Have you ever? " Can you believe that? Small world. So we are going to meet and check out the cars.
On another note,
I had a yarn vendor visit me yesterday. Turns out he was the President of a company I use to work for that he helped  Bankrupt. Can you imagine how that conversation went. Oh yeh, did I mention that I did not get my severance pay from that company. I could have bought a nice Mopar for what they owed me. Life is full of stories. :thinking:
Get in, I'll drive

blown motor

I had my car stored for the winter in the shop of a friend. There was one other car there, a Nissan 370Z. I found out this spring that I am related to the Z owners wife. I've never met her, she's not a close relative, but I've been working on family history the past few years so it was cool to discover this. We'll ge together this summer. Small world indeed.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Isn't everybody related in Mitchell :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Thanks buddy. Have you been taking lessons from Ian?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

Small world for sure
I met a lady here in Panama  that went to the same high school & lived very close to me but she is a few years younger .
Cool to meet the guy with the 440 Demon 1 block away , I think I have worked for 15 similar companies that stiffed me for wages & or severance owing over the years , I too am owed a lot of $$ that I will never collect .

RusTy/SE

Yep. Small world alright. Earlier this year at work, I happen to be setting up a new employee, Steven B,  at a designated computer so I begin the process of logging him in to create his local (computer) domain profile.  I engage in some light talk which somehow includes mention of my Challenger and as soon as I do, he mentions his brother had a dark blue 68 Hemi GTX along with several other Hemi cars.   :unbelievable:

I tell him that is way cool and as I'm doing so his last name starts to make a connection. . . I ask him if his brother's name is Rod and could it have been a 67 GTX - been about thirty years but I recall the car like yesterday - and he says "Yes, a 67 not a 68! - do you know him?" Turns out Rod is still in the same little small town shop and he suggested that I go see him.

And I will. After all, what could happen...

JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

RUNCHARGER

I bought a 69 Hemi GTX project car once. Going through the old paperwork I found that a long term owner was a fellow by the name of Ron P-----. Anyway I tried to contact this fellow as I was looking for the original block but I couldn't find him. A year or so later I am showing the car and this fellow comes up to it, looks it over very carefully and said the usual "I used to own a car just like this". being used to this I asked him, was it a Satellite or Belvedere? He responded "no, a GTX just like this one". They only made 99 69 Hemi GTX's automatics so I said so was it a 440 car? He said calm as can be "no it was a Hemi, just like this one". It's like the guy figured they were common as heck and it didn't even dawn on him that this had to be his old car. So I said "you must be Ron P----" and he looked at me in shock, wondering how I would know his name.
I always got a chuckle out of that conversation.
Sheldon

wldgtx

Are those before and after pictures?  If so... well done!  :clapping: :twothumbsup:

Great story by the way, I bet he damn near shit himself that you knew his name.
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

Jay Bee

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 30, 2017, 07:09:09 PM
I always got a chuckle out of that conversation.
I just did now too. Great story, what are the odds.

RUNCHARGER

Lol: Yes those are before and after shots. First time I ever welded or painted a car.
Before the internet was prevalent a lot of original owners had no idea just how rare some of their rides had been.
I asked the guy what happened to the engine and he said "it blew up". I said okay but where did it go, where is the block especially. He said "there was nothing left it was junk". I found it later though in a 70 383 Road Runner that had had it's VIN changed to an R. Someone had taken advantage of him over a spun rod bearing. Oh and the GTX was on Ebay last year with the matching #'s block as well now. So, there are two matching #'s blocks for that car that I know of.
This engine was the original out of the 4 speed, 71 GY3 Hemi Cuda (please ignore the temporary trans cooler). Circa 1990.
Sheldon