Main Menu

Other Hobbies?

Started by Rev-It-Up, March 17, 2017, 10:00:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

I'm starting to take up Fly Fishing again.

When I was 13 or 14, I was beginning to do it. Started to get the hang of it. 
But then I stopped once I went into High School.     :rubeyes:  :wowzers:  :drinkingbud:  :stayinlane:   :wrenching:

This June, I'm doing a 1 day float trip down a River in Alaska.
It's starting to come back to me.

captcolour

Electric bass player

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Revive this one a bit. More time at home for some...., Something I did in 2006 for a friend and got a call last week for more.  Wood working involved, a little painting, and liking the results.  Company supplies the sign, I do all the other.  They needed 10 this go round.  6 have been picked up and 4 more to go.   My building I put up last year really did work out for these.

Brads70

Quote from: DAYLEY/CHALLENGER on April 28, 2020, 06:53:51 PM
Revive this one a bit. More time at home for some...., Something I did in 2006 for a friend and got a call last week for more.  Wood working involved, a little painting, and liking the results.  Company supplies the sign, I do all the other.  They needed 10 this go round.  6 have been picked up and 4 more to go.   My building I put up last year really did work out for these.

I like that stuff, (Cheerwine) my kids all love it too, always get a few cases to bring back with us when visiting family in NC/SC

cataclysm80

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 26, 2017, 11:53:53 PM
Quote from: cuda hunter on March 18, 2017, 09:38:32 AM
Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 18, 2017, 12:35:35 AM
Quote from: cuda hunter on March 17, 2017, 10:44:30 PM
I'm an amateur paleontologist.   

That's really cool!
Is there any particular region that you focus on?

My wife loves dinosaurs.
One of the multiple Mopar projects we're working on currently, is building her a screen accurate Jurassic Park movie Jeep.
1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with some custom painted red stripes, BF Goodrich tires one size larger than stock, Ramsey REP6000 winch, Mopar tow eyes, modified Mopar light bar, Jabsco motorized lights, KC Hi-Lites amber fog lights, and a whip antenna with CB radio.
It's a pretty straight forward build, but there's no reproduction parts, and a few things are difficult to find after 25 years.

Sounds like that is going to be a really cool project.  Please post up pictures when the project is coming along.  First I have heard of someone doing a jurassic movie look alike.     :bigthumb:

Since I was posting pictures of another one of our projects, I thought I'd add this picture here.
The Jeep on the left is what we started with last November.
The Jeep on the right is one of the actual movie Jeeps, located Nearby at Universal Studios.
It's great to have an actual Jeep nearby for reference.  Enough years have went by though that it's sadly missing some parts, and Universal had it repainted by someone who didn't put the Jurassic logo back on, or the red stripes and numbers back in the correct location, or even put the same numbers back onto the Jeep!  This is Jeep 12 from the movie.  The one Nedry tries to escape in when he's eaten by the procompsognathus & dilophosaurus.  It doesn't have the screen used tires on it anymore either, so it took some effort to determine the correct tire size.

We have a ways to go still, but we've made some progress.  We're still in the parts gathering stage.
We have the Sahara Jeep with the aluminum wheels, which is what's really needed to start.  A lot of the interior parts are specific to only Sahara models.
Luckily, the Jeep we found had a Mopar Performance light bar.  These have been discontinued for years and tend to rust, so they're hard to find.  It needs shortened 1 inch, and a special plate fabricated to mount the bigger lights on top.
The Mopar Performance Tow Eyes are another discontinued part that's hard to find.  We had a friend remove the originals from the real Jeep at Universal and make duplicates.  He put the originals back on the Universal Jeep afterward.
The KC amber fog lights have also been discontinued for years, but we managed to track down a pair.
We don't want to ride around on 25 year old tires, so we got the current version of the correct tire, which looks about the same from the side view, but has a slightly different tread pattern.
The winch is another part that's been discontinued for years.  By combining parts from two similar models of winch, we're able to get pretty close to the right thing.  A lot of the winch parts were used on multiple winch models.  Replacement winch decals will be difficult.  We can always swap to a more accurate winch if we ever manage to track one down.
The Jabsco motorized lights are still readily available, but we haven't bought them yet.  Been focused on the difficult parts.
The Jabsco lights will require some custom trim parts that Universal manufactured.
We also still need the whip antenna.  Have to figure out what is the correct one to have.  It's not a stock Jeep part, and it's missing off the Jeep at Universal.

Plus we have some regular Jeep parts that just need replaced or fixed after all these years of use.
I need to figure out what gears to use in the differentials to get the best gas mileage.  This will be a show Jeep and used for some daily driving, so my wife doesn't really need off road gears in it.

Once we're done rounding up parts, we'll do a full disassembly / restoration / repaint, and put it all together.

It's been awhile, so I guess I could post an update.
We've taken the Jeep a few places now, did a few laps around the Daytona International Speedway, and took it to Universal Studios where they parked us in the Jurassic Park parking lot.
There's still some things to finish up on it, but it's been fun.