Main Menu

Tie Down System Used On your Car Trailer

Started by 71vert340, March 17, 2018, 07:55:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I just bought 20 ft. car trailer to haul my Bronco 2 up to the cabin. I've hauled ATVs before and I hauled an old truck before on a friends car hauler trailer. I have the axle straps and ratcheting car tie downs to go to the welded loops at the four corner rings on the trailer. I also have 7 stake pockets on each side of the trailer and I have the D-ring inserts for the pockets ( for hauling my ATVs). I've seen the web tie down system that ties down a vehicle by going over each tire but was wondering how well it worked. Any experience/insights you might have on hauling a vehicle would be greatly appreciated. Which tie down system or methods do you prefer? I haven't been able to bring myself to consider hauling my shaker convertible on it to take it to a show although I don't like to drive the car anymore with all the crazy drivers. How do you prevent rock chip damage when hauling the vehicle? Any advice. Thanks in advance.
Terry

Chryco Psycho

I like the tie downs that trap the tires , holds the car well & allows the suspension to work still with no stress against the chassis

71vert340

Can the axle straps be used on the rear wheel drive cars rear axle and the over the tire web over the front tires or would it be better to have the same on the front and rear of cars. I see that going thru the K frame with a strap would not allow the front suspension to work. How would the over the tire web work without a bed tie down directly in front of, or behind the tire work? Would going to a side stake pocket work?
Terry

cuda hunter

uhaul car haulers have a web for the front tires of the vehicle.  I really like that method.  Best i've used as I have not had a ratchet come loose on the tire web.  But I've had chains, binders and ratchets come loose wrapped around other parts of the cars.
I've hauled across the country at least two dozen times. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

blown motor

I've rented a U-Haul a couple times and I love the wheel webs. All it had was webs for the front tires, nothing for back as I recall and it worked great. Just stop and snug them up after 20 miles.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

71vert340

I use an equalizer hitch on my 21 ft. RV trailer. It seems like it would be a good idea to use one on this trailer when loaded.
Terry

Spikedog08

Quote from: 71vert340 on March 19, 2018, 05:52:28 AM
I use an equalizer hitch on my 21 ft. RV trailer. It seems like it would be a good idea to use one on this trailer when loaded.
Terry

I would not tow any vehicle with out that hitch . . .  :stop:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 17, 2018, 09:04:39 PM
I like the tie downs that trap the tires , holds the car well & allows the suspension to work still with no stress against the chassis

Some people like that way and seems to work just fine. I don't. I use a enclosed trailer and can't see if anything is coming loose. When you just trap the wheels you can't tell what's going on because the vehicle is moving around on the suspension. Feels the same when a car is loose. I prefer to pull the suspension down tight so nothing is moving around. The car and tghe trailer become one. I use ratchet tie downs in a X configuration on the front and rear. (see pic below) That eliminates side to side movement and front to rear movement. Just my personal preference. 

scf100

Quote from: Shane Kelley on March 19, 2018, 09:10:23 AM

Some people like that way and seems to work just fine. I don't. I use a enclosed trailer and can't see if anything is coming loose. When you just trap the wheels you can't tell what's going on because the vehicle is moving around on the suspension. Feels the same when a car is loose. I prefer to pull the suspension down tight so nothing is moving around. The car and tghe trailer become one. I use ratchet tie downs in a X configuration on the front and rear. (see pic below) That eliminates side to side movement and front to rear movement. Just my personal preference.

I prefer same tie down method when you can but I have a hot rod truck that does not allow cross straps....

was thinking of using what race cars do...
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

anlauto

Quote from: Shane Kelley on March 19, 2018, 09:10:23 AM

That's my method as well :iagree:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Either method will work but I hate laying under the car to tie it down. Cross tying is a better way to keep things tight though. The deal is to keep each tie pulling on each other front to back and side to side.
Sheldon

Spikedog08

Shane's picture a little brighter . . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

I have hauled a lot of heavy equipment and rule #1 is to take the suspension of the vehicle being hauled out of the equation. The reason being is no matter how tight you might think you have it, that on a large bump the suspension can still load and unload and that is what loosens your straps/chains.
Sheldon

Aar1064

I'm glad I came across this. I've been thinking about how to haul my car in an enclosed. Went from tire straps to regular straps but have settled on regular.

What is the best thing to hook to on the front to keep from scratching and damaging all my paint work? For the rear, I'm thinking of hooking to the factory tow brackets on the frame.

blown motor

The factory bracket on the rear works great but I think there's just one on the right side. At least that's the way my car is. Maybe someone can confirm if there should be one or two. I wonder if it would work to put those brackets on the front frame rails. It wouldn't be hard to make them.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel