Main Menu

Tie Down System Used On your Car Trailer

Started by 71vert340, March 17, 2018, 07:55:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

The front is a tricky area to deal with. Especially with low cars. Here's how I do it in my trailer. I use electric wench to pull it up into the trailer running using a strap around the center of the K member with a towel protecting the paint. On the factory rear frame brackets I use D rings that go through the holes in the brackets. The hooks on my tie down don't really fit very well in the factory bracket holes. I hook the tie downs to the D rings in a X pattern as mentioned. I then pull the winch tight. Since the winch is mounted to the floor it pulls the suspension down with the car. For close local trips that's all a do. When I'm traveling any distance I use straps on the sway bar brackets and X the front tie downs along with the winch. The front is always a tough situation with different cars. Nothing really good on the body to pull from because the valance is in the way. Hope this answers some questions for you guys.

Aar1064

Quote from: blown motor on March 20, 2018, 06:08:12 AM
The factory bracket on the rear works great but I think there's just one on the right side. At least that's the way my car is. Maybe someone can confirm if there should be one or two. I wonder if it would work to put those brackets on the front frame rails. It wouldn't be hard to make them.

I had two. One for each side.

Aar1064

Just wanted to give an update of what I did to secure car in trailer. I purchased Mac tie downs specifically the factory transit package with the J hooks. They're a little on the expensive side but in my opinion, worth it. The hooks slipped right into the factory tie downs in back and what I would assume a factory tie down hole in frame at front.

So far so good. It's loaded up and ready for Moparfest at the Battleship in Mobile AL.

Thanks for the help.

71vert340

Great, Thanks. Let us know how it goes.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

I would suggest crossing them if possible. Tying it straight secures it front to back but not so much side to side. Cross tying it secures it sideways as well.
Sheldon

Shane Kelley

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 26, 2018, 07:15:47 PM
I would suggest crossing them if possible. Tying it straight secures it front to back but not so much side to side. Cross tying it secures it sideways as well.
:iagree:

anlauto

Yea...at least cross the back ones....I really like those hooks, but I think they're going to damage the paint on the front frame rail :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration