Main Menu

Travel advice! Boston, Cape Cod, etc...

Started by benlavigne, May 27, 2019, 07:16:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

Hello, planning a week in that region, mostly for sightseeing, cycling....
Thinking of staying near beaches, and doing day trips to Boston, Martha's Vineyard, etc...
Anything else is a must-see, must-do? Tourist traps to avoid? Places to stay that would be cheaper but still nice?
Any car places/museums/shops/dealers?
Thanks in advance!

Ben

benlavigne

I guess from the lack of replies that this is a less polarizing area than San Francisco!  :))

Ben

jimynick

The bride and I were there a few years ago Ben, but it was right about now and the "season" hadn't quite, officially opened. We were in Bahstan as well and Havad is worth seeing. There's a Diners and Dives burger joint right nearby it, named Mr Bartley's Burger Cottage. There's a lot of history in Boston and we went on a WWII destroyer that's parked near "Old Ironsides", a famous USN ship from the war of 1812. There's a walking tour through the really old section of town that dates back into the 1600's. The sports scene there is strong and you might be able to go to one of their events. We went to Provincetown and stayed at the Provincetown Inn. It was inexpensive and right on the water beside the big breakwater, but it wasn't fancy, so be advised and check it out via Google. There's a large gay presence in P Town, as the locals call it, so if you're not happy about men kissing men, etc. be also advised. It's a beach town otherwise and I imagine it's rocking in season. Seafood is obviously a big thing and be sure to sample the numerous iterations of "chowda". The Kennedy compound in Hyannisport is near P Town on your way- watchout for the bridge a Chappaquiddick, Ted said it could be a bit tricky! Have fun!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

benlavigne

Thanks @jimynick !
We are a bit last minute and would be going in high season (end of July), so we decided to stay closer to home, as anyththing close to Cape Cod on AirBnB or in hotels was outrageously expensive... plus 35% exchange..
I'm thinking Spring and Fall could be a better time to do this trip!
Thanks again for the advice, we'll save it for later.

Ben