Main Menu

What are you guys investing in? Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Cars?

Started by Cuda Cody, December 16, 2019, 05:46:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

I want to get an account or two set up for our new child and haven't done much investing outside our normal 401K that is offered at work.  What do you guys prefer for retirement planning or college savings?  Besides driving our retirements (cool cars)  :D   do any of you have stock accounts?  What brokerage do you prefer?  Any good stock tips?  8)

worthywads

I'm a fan of index mutual funds, Fidelity or Vanguard are good large mutual fund companies that have many basic Index funds to choose from.  I've ended up with most of my 401K in the target retirement funds, that gradually get more conservative the closer to your chosen retirement year.

I have no kids so not up on these, but there is a 529 account that has some tax advantages.

https://investor.vanguard.com/529-plan/

Chryco Psycho

fc7cuda

I have 529 plans for my kids at Fidelity investments, and I'd recommend you starting one somewhere as soon as you can.  Thanks to @J-Code Jeni for giving birth in December, you'll get the dependent benefit for the whole year.  Also, you'll get to max out your pre-tax contribution for 2019 if you start the 529 plan this year!  Back to the 529s - depending on where you go will affect your choices of plans.  Stay with choosing a larger company, well known, and with a good reputation and ratings.  The way the economy has been the last 10 years, and looking at their results, I don't think there's a bad 529 plan out there.  :alan2cents:

As far as other long term investments, that depends on your risk level and outlook.  If stocks, I usually always go with the best of breed in whatever category I'll long in. Evaluate your decision periodically as things change.  I don't want to recommend any specific stock or funds publicly, but always happy to chat.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@Cuda Cody it'd probably be easier to talk over the phone on this, but the basics are get a trusted financial advisor and also start a 529 account for him stat. I'll gladly share what I've done since my 20's and have no regrets. I'll talk with you any time.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JonH

Congrats on the new baby. As others have said, definitely open a 529 for your child ASAP. I would use Vanguard or Fidelity as well. Also for retirement, if you can swing it, I would open Roth IRA's for both you and your wife. Continue to capture all the company match in your 401K, and even max it out if you can. Then contribute to a Roth IRA with after tax dollars. When you retire all the funds in the Roth will be available tax free. Your 401K is funded with pre tax dollars and will be taxed when you withdraw. (unless it is a roth 401K) If I can make 1 point, educate yourself about finances. Now, do not wait. We are typically never taught how to manage money, and it is one of the most important things in our lives. Start now while you are young and have time on your side. Put it on autopilot by contributing every paycheck. The power of compounding can be astounding. If you need help, find a fee based adviser. By that I mean someone that will charge you by the hour. Not a commissioned salesman. Stay away from individual stocks unless you are a gambler and willing to do the necessary research on your own. Oh yea, don't take advice on stocks from anyone on the internet....good luck

PS.. Google, Dave Ramsey, or go out and buy his books. Good common sense advice

BIGSHCLUNK

Real estate has gone well once I got thru a few rookie mistakes. Accounts thru Invesco, UBS, TD Ameritrade.  The first 2 are managed the third I play with the help of MOTLEY FOOL . NOT going political here, but the current administration has done well for me. Structured notes have been good to me too. Be prepared to take a hit occasionally, it happens. Lots of good advice here, spread things out, don't stay in one sector. Be leery of advisors that will get you rich quick. And a stash in a shoebox never hurts. Oh and CONGRATULATIONS !   :burnout:

nsmall

Quote from: JonH on December 16, 2019, 08:03:11 PM
Congrats on the new baby. As others have said, definitely open a 529 for your child ASAP. I would use Vanguard or Fidelity as well. Also for retirement, if you can swing it, I would open Roth IRA's for both you and your wife. Continue to capture all the company match in your 401K, and even max it out if you can. Then contribute to a Roth IRA with after tax dollars. When you retire all the funds in the Roth will be available tax free. Your 401K is funded with pre tax dollars and will be taxed when you withdraw. (unless it is a roth 401K) If I can make 1 point, educate yourself about finances. Now, do not wait. We are typically never taught how to manage money, and it is one of the most important things in our lives. Start now while you are young and have time on your side. Put it on autopilot by contributing every paycheck. The power of compounding can be astounding. If you need help, find a fee based adviser. By that I mean someone that will charge you by the hour. Not a commissioned salesman. Stay away from individual stocks unless you are a gambler and willing to do the necessary research on your own. Oh yea, don't take advice on stocks from anyone on the internet....good luck

PS.. Google, Dave Ramsey, or go out and buy his books. Good common sense advice

Awesome advice.  I love talking finances as I teach H.S. Economics and I have made it a crash course on how to become wealthy.  This guy has a great site IMO.....https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/   He advises against international funds, but Vanguard disagrees, but his other advice is incredible

I love how you posted this as I've been meaning to start a similar thread as so many of you seem to be loaded and I want to know what you did.

Yes fidelity or Vanguard 529
Yes ROTH IRA (6,000 for you and another 6,000 for the Mrs.)  Wait, aren't you guys loaded?  Maybe just an IRA for you two.

The target funds make sense.
Individual stock picking is crazy to me, but I know a bunch of people who claim they are good at it.
I spend my pay check each month on 60% Vanguard total stock market, 20% vanguard total international market, and 20% vanguard total bond.
Shelter all of your money from the IRS (preferably legally)

Rentals have made us the most money but being a landlord is like a second job and we just sold 3 as I am not tough enough to be a landlord in wacky Cali

Feel free to give me a jingle as I love this stuff and unlike others, my advice is free.

Last tip, its about time in the market, not selling, always buying, not trying to find a needle in the haystack, just buy the whole haystack. 

7212Mopar

I had looked into 529 plans for my son soon after he was born. He is now 14. 529 will for sure have tax advantage but it also comes with restrictions. For me, control is of extreme value so i decided to set a separate investment account for my son's education but in my name. I will manage how the money is grow and how it will be used.

Like the old saying, don't put all the eggs in one basket. No matter how each market sector performs, keep a balanced diversity. It is also about consistency and discipline and sometime luck. Stocks, bonds and real estates are your typical stable investment vehicles. Sometimes sound business ventures are good investments but more risks to manage, better than buying lottery. Need to put in the time as all have to be earned.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Dakota

My only add to this dialog is to encourage you to take full advantage of having a Health Savings Account (HSA) if you're not already doing so.   A number of employers are offering these as part of their benefits but you can set one up on your own if needed.   For 2019, you can set deposit up to $7,000 as a family ($8k for those of us over 55) which comes directly off your taxable income when you file your taxes.   You can reimburse yourself from this account for co-pays, deductibles, eyeglasses/contact lenses, and any other out of pocket medical expenses.   There's no "use it or lose it" provision for HSAs, so you keep whatever you deposit and don't use immediately for future use.   I do all this online and can typically get reimbursed for any submitted expenses within about 3 days. 

benlavigne

Quote from: anlauto on December 16, 2019, 07:47:55 PM
We invest all of our extra money to paying our bills  :tired:

That is actually great advice! I can't comment specifically on your US options, but a universal thruth is to try and stay away from credit, unless you need it for something like a mortgage or a vehucle, and try to repay that as quickly as possible,then use the extra money to invest once you've paid off those loans.
A good financial advisor who knows the finer details of tax laws and market is essential, don't hesitate to shop around for a person you feel comfortable with and trust, you need to find a good match and someone who'll understand your specific needs and situation.

Congrats again to Jen and you on the baby, and on thinking ahead sooner than later...

Ben

torredcuda

Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

303 Mopar

I started 529 plans for each of my boys when they were born with an auto withdraw every month. They have the option to control your own investments or go with their recommendations by age or level of risk you choose.

JS29