Main Menu

Wrecked, destroyed, mangled Mopars

Started by Roadman, September 21, 2017, 03:00:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340challconvert

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

7E-Bodies

Back in 81, I had two 71 JH27G1B cars simultaneously.  I was 20 and had the E body bug with no escaping it (I'm now on my 9th E).  A buddy jumped in the green one which ran insanely well for a 318 3 speed manual.  I jumped in my B7 blue and we left the body shop I worked at in Morton IL and headed down I-474 for Peoria.  Naturally, we got to playing race cars and exceeded 100 mph.  At 105-110 and at the 13 mile marker west bound, he began to lose control from the left lane.  Being a slight curve to the right, and him in the left lane leading me by two car lengths, he dropped left rubber into the grass on the median and then over corrected to the right.  The last view I saw was him going sideways to the right as he came back on and across my lane in front of me.  The rate of speed combined with the heat of the day, cheap tires, and sideways slide, sheared the right rear tire off the rim just before the front end drove head-on into the grassy rise of the overpass, flipping the car in an explosion of dust and dirt.  As I flew past, I could hear the engine running wide open while upside down.  By the time I got shut down and got out of my car, the engine finally flashed loudly and died.  Being one to always refuse seat belts, he not only survived surprisingly, but walked away with a bleeding scalp from road rash obtained during the slide.  The next day as we recreated what happened, and dug through the remains, his story matched our findings.  The accelerator cable had broken and had stuck in wide open mode and when he panicked and turned the key off, he came back one click too far and not only killed the engine, but locked the wheel on a slight right hand curve in the road.  He then panicked again and turned the key back on in attempt to unlock the wheel, foot off the clutch at over 100 mph.  Engine started at full throttle during his over correction and hell was then to be paid.  I not only thought he was dead, I knew he was.  Nothing surprised me more than to see him in a scramble, digging his way out from the shredded top, standing up and shouting "I ***KED UP!" After a drill sergeant styled attack by Illinois State Police, and a lot of lying on our part, the car was towed to a relative's back yard so we could part it out.  But before we did, we decided to see if it'd still run.  This car not only started with the same battery in it, but it idled without a glitch (by hand and at the carb).  Somebody ended up buying the engine and was happy with it (it had 90,000 miles). 
My take?  Ma Mopar knew she had to protect drivers in a rollover.  That windshield frame not only kept him from being crushed, but allowed his quick escape.  Trust that frame!
Friendship ended a few years later...over yet another E.  This time a 1970 JS27.  I'm sad to have seen a green vert 3 speed get taken out by stupidity...on both of our parts.  Drive these things safely, fellow members.  Young, stupid, inexperienced...guilty.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

RUNCHARGER

Alan: I seen that one decades ago near Edmonton. Guy got it sprayed at Maaco after some, ah, bodywork.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

"The accelerator cable had broken and had stuck in wide open mode"
Same thing happened to me while messing around with a Cuda on the freeway. Cable frayed and when pulled into sleeve it just stayed to the floor. @115 I turned off engine but left it in gear until about 55 then pushed in clutch. Only to have a huge backfire blow thru exhaust. Though for sure I had no bottom end. Luckily all ended well.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Topcat

Sitting in a field in New Brunswick

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

340challconvert

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

gzig5

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: That ones got bowtie written all over it.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

the grill is bowtie shaped , the tunneled headlights look like Daytona

70chall440

Definitely a lot of work in the car, beauty is in the eye....
Mopar or no car!!!

Chryco Psycho